PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Is it possible to wax and polish a plateau briar? and how?
I have one that is currently in natural state and was wondering if it was possible to polish it so that the whole pipe is waxed, or if it is best to leave it natural.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yes, go ahead and polish it just like the rest of the pipe. If you are going to stain the plateaux, do it before you have finished shaping the bowl. That will keep the stain off the sides.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can remember haveing an attachment for a drill that had a wheel with very soft bristles hanging from it for polishing into corners and seams. I think that would get in and buff it right up. I also read about useing water based acrylic sealers.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I just did a plateau freehand pipe, and the problem I found is the plateau is deep and sharp.

A wheel doesnt get into the plateau, and fibers get caught up in the edges.

I did find using a small paint brush (1/8" flat bristles) was able to get some soft wax into it, and then some hand polishing.

I'm sure there is a better way to get about it....

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
You took all the bark off right ? First thing to do is take a wire brush to it and knock out all the bark. You may need a pocket knife to gently dig out some of the deeper spots. It should be very clean before you stain or buff it.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
The bark is off, but its still pretty deep. just cant seem to get in there except with a brush. that makes buffing pretty difficult

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
One of the pipe building threads I read was on using acrylic to finish pipes, maybe put a high gloss in cracks and buff what you can, it may look identical. Can't find the thread, been reading so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.