Tags:  No tags yet. 

Plateau Briar - Polishing?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by joshremy
  • Latest reply from dragonslayer
  1. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

Is it possible to wax and polish a plateau briar? and how?

I have one that is currently in natural state and was wondering if it was possible to polish it so that the whole pipe is waxed, or if it is best to leave it natural.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I can only tell you what works for me. I don't use wax. Usually using saliva, a rag and some elbow grease occasionally does the job keeping it relatively clean. I have used alcohol, but alcohol will harm the finish if it's sealed -- and some say it will also remove the stain as well -- I also use a drop of mineral oil. YMMV.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, go ahead and polish it just like the rest of the pipe. If you are going to stain the plateaux, do it before you have finished shaping the bowl. That will keep the stain off the sides.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can remember haveing an attachment for a drill that had a wheel with very soft bristles hanging from it for polishing into corners and seams. I think that would get in and buff it right up. I also read about useing water based acrylic sealers.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I just did a plateau freehand pipe, and the problem I found is the plateau is deep and sharp.
    A wheel doesnt get into the plateau, and fibers get caught up in the edges.
    I did find using a small paint brush (1/8" flat bristles) was able to get some soft wax into it, and then some hand polishing.
    I'm sure there is a better way to get about it....

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You took all the bark off right ? First thing to do is take a wire brush to it and knock out all the bark. You may need a pocket knife to gently dig out some of the deeper spots. It should be very clean before you stain or buff it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

The bark is off, but its still pretty deep. just cant seem to get in there except with a brush. that makes buffing pretty difficult

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the pipe building threads I read was on using acrylic to finish pipes, maybe put a high gloss in cracks and buff what you can, it may look identical. Can't find the thread, been reading so many.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   buzkirk, tallguy, phil67, jfox520, morton, broth, terrygoldman123, crusher47, smorgdonkey, beefeater33, sean81, carytobacco, cmdrmcbragg, 4nogginsmike, northernneil, tbradsim1, soymilkisgood, huskysibe, oldreddog, grouchydog, brass, arno665, darwin, cosmicfolklore, warren