PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I asked this in another thread, but forgot what thread it was. With apologies to those who responded, is a plastic ziplock bag safe for long term storage (that is a month or so) for tobacco, or should I use Mason jars?

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
If you keep your current tobacco for daily use, then always use an air-tight humidor and be prepared to spray the under-side of the top lid with water just in case the tobacco appears to be drying out. Otherwise, I always suggest a quart Mason Jar for storage. I do both.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Mason jars for aging and long term storage. Ball jars for short term storage.
I have about 10 different tobaccos on the go, and ball jars keep the moisture level excellent for almost a year before I notice things drying out.
For some reason, I find that strong Aromatics tend to really shine out after about 6 months in a ball jar undisturbed. One of my favorites, Sunset Breeze, I let sit in a tin for 6 months or so, then open and transfer to the jar, let it sit for another 4-6 months, and it's just wonderful compared to smoking fresh from the tin.
I recently took half the jar of McClellands St James Flake and tossed it into a ball jar, its been about 2 months. Im gonna wait another 2, and see how it is.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I only use a plastic bag for my tobacco when I take some and put it in my pouch for my daily smokes. I do this because I live in the dessert so it helps delay the drying out process. When it comes to storage and aging, definitely use jars.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I always use jars regardless of short or long term storage. Why risk it? I only use plastic (baggies) for my on-the-go smoke.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Mason jars for aging and long term storage. Ball jars for short term storage.
Ball jars and Mason jars are one and the same thing. Ball is simply a brand name for a 'Mason' jar.

Did you perhaps mean bail jar?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ More than likely. I just didn't want anyone new to the site, and or wishing to know how to best store tobacco to get confused.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The "Bail" jar I'm most familiar with is one that some freinds and I used to throw money into when we would go on drinking vacations, (ahh to be young again), that jar was reserved in the event that one ore more of us had to get "bailed" out of whatever mischief we may have wandered into. ;-)

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Ok, 1st thing stay away from plastic period, it is a chemistry thing.... NO GOOD..... buy a tobacco pouch for your daily smoking. I like my tobac on the dry side so I my have several tobacs bulk or tin open at any given time. Now for storage I use Ball/Mason jars they are the same thing no difference as mentioned here. Good luck to you sir.
Take Care.

Mike.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I want a baccyflap for my on-the-go usage ... but anytime they show up they always go for about $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.