PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I'm a little confused... I was at my local B&M the other day, and saw a rack of pipes. I examined them, and each of them had a plastic insert in the bowl. This comes out, right? What purpose does this serve, in a new pipe?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Were they Chinese made pipes? I can't imagine any "quality" pipe having a plastic insert in the bowl.

I just looked at a site that sells something like you described. It appears that they are made for smoking cigarettes and cigars. I guess you just stick the in the bowl.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I don't know anything about plastic inserts but back when I was a kid I used to see lots of older men smoke their cigars in a pipe. The only reason I ever heard for doing it is that the cigar is easier to keep lit.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I can't picture what it is you're talking about. Could it simply be to protect against dust while the pipes are on display?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Judging from the photos I saw the is just enough room to insert a cigarette upright. Unless they are something totally different, then I'm lost.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't want plastic anywhere near burning tobacco. This would produce all kinds of fumes, some

of them toxic. I don't even like soft plastic picnic dishes and cups, because they may shed monomers,

little molecules of petroleum products from the plastic, that you don't want to be tasting or taking in.

Perhaps these plastic inserts are just meant to show the pipes are unsmoked. Some high end pipes

have little strings run through them to emphasize their unsmoked status. But the plastic fixture sounds

iffy. It's not an invitation to buy that pipe in my book.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I think you may be right, MSO. I think they are there to show that the pipes are new. They look to be briars, but only cost something like $14.00. I may buy one and try it out, and if it does alright, then I may buy one for my brother-in-law, and another for a friend of mine. Both of them are cigarette smokers, but hell, if I can quit smoking cigarettes, then heck, anyone can.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Don't do it, Frank. I don't know what plastic compound they are made from but if it is some kind of phenolic resin it could contain some very bad stuff. Suffice to say, you don't want to hale it.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
No, I know. I ran a corporation for twenty years, that supplied nozzle systems and hot halves for injection molding of thermoplastics. I'm well familiar with the toxicity of various resins at elevated temperatures. I'm thinking that those plastic bowl inserts exist to show that the pipe is new and unsmoked, and that it is to be removed prior to loading/smoking. I may be going back, this evening. I need to pick up more Prince Albert, anyway. :piping:

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I know of no quality pipe that comes with such a plastic bowl protector. My bet would be this is a Chinese made junk pipe. It won't be smokable, so its basically worthless no matter what the cost.
Get yourself a couple of excellent quality Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes instead.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've not seen nor smoke such a pipe. Therefore I would not offer opinion as to the smoking abilities or build quality. But, I would tend to the belief that it is to protect or keep the bowl clean until it is to be smoked. A visible indicator of the "pristine" condition of the item. A marketing ploy, as it were, which separates this line of pipes from others.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
They are pretty cheap pipes. I am thinking marketing ploy, and yes, more than likely, Chinese garbage. Ah well... I'm half tempted to buy one though, just to test it out.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Ignore the issue of the plastic and have strong suspicions about the quality of any $14.00 pipe. Savinelli seems to mass produce quality pipes, but what, they start at ~$70.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.