Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Hello,
I'm going to be making a purchase very soon of some bulk tobaccos but won't be able to get to them for about a month.

My question is that how will the moisture hold up in the sealed bags?

Have any of you kept tobaccos in the plastic bags most companies send bulk in for a while?
I'm looking at 8oz in each bag to be sitting for a month in the box in a basement.
Thanks

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
@alexnc
It's not up to me. I'll assume most companies only use one bag to put tobaccos in. I will eventually transfer them to Ball jars, but for them to be sitting in the original packaging un-opened until I can get to them.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Just put a medium glass with distilled water in the same box and make sure lid in tight. Baccy will be fine.

Just in case, ask the seller if he could vaccum pack, may be they can. That it can keep for years.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
A month in a ziploc from a retailer will be fine. I order my bulk blends internationally from the US and sometime customs hold them for a few weeks. I’ve had no issues.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jar it as soon as you can. Bag it in Mylar if you can. For many blends, a little drying even without hydration is all to the good.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think the fact that you're doing 8 ounces per blend will help. In my experience, smaller quantities with lots of extra space in the bag causes more issues than a full-ish bag. Ask the retailer to double bag it in the comments on your order. If they catch it, shouldn't be asking too much in the way of extra service.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
This box o' bags lives under my desk. It's remainders of bulks that didn't fit into jars, opened smaller units and stuff I don't care to waste a jar or effort on.
box-o-bags-600x450.jpg

It's been there for about 18 months. I rarely "finish" anything in the box and they are opened maybe 3-4 times per month.
So far, I've had no problem with over-drying at all. This room stays between 76-79 in the summer and 65-72 in the winter. Humidity averages 50-70 with occasional spikes in both directions.
Of course, I don't keep My Precious in this box, but I've had no problems with what's there.
jay-roger.jpg

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Humidity is high were I live, I normally jar to keep it out, not in... Ball mason jars are so cheap and available at any Wallmart in many sizes in bulk, I just buy more every time I run out. The plastic bags do seem to work for a long time, but I think a month is pushing it. I say it depends on what type of tobacco it is and how attached to it you really are. The taste can and will change more in a plastic bag than a sealed container, but it will still be good unless you live in a desert. Also plastic bags do last a long time but... From my experience a lot of them have micro-holes, where air and water can leak out from how they are made. If I store tobacco in one, I blow it up with air and then press it to see if it comes out when closed. I find something like 2/3's of them leak air at a pretty good rate and like 1/3 are airtight regarding the Ziploc brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.