PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have long loved the idea of smoking a meer, but never had the money to buy one, nor really saw a design that I liked. And buying raw blocks of meer is nigh impossible, unless you get pre-cut/stemmed DIY meers, but then you are stuck with only certain shapes.
The problems that I have seen/read regarding Plaster of Paris (PP) is that unless it has something to bond to, it's quite fragile. I did a search on making stronger PP and came across this page here - SITE - which said to add 1/4 cup of Elmer's Glue to the PP mix (2 cups PP, 1 cup Water).
So, with that in mind, a figure that one could add most any glue, even stronger than Elmer's, as long as it's non-toxic. Glues such as Gorilla Wood Glue or even ECO-BOND Adhesive. You could mix the plaster, and mold whatever sized blocks you want. Wait a couple days to fully cure and solidify, then you can carve away.
Your thoughts?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I think this approach is right out even if the glue were completely compatible with the PP mix. Strengthening the PP blank is a fine idea but the idea of applying considerable heat to a substance with Elmers, or any other glue for that matter, in it is not at all appealing. It could be quite toxic when heated or burned.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
You know. That aspect I hadn't thought of. I neglected to consider the toxicity changes when burning. I suppose, however, that you could harden the plaster pipe as normal, then give it a pure plaster lining, so that everything that is burned is only taking place in a completely plaster-only environment.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
In my mind essentially you'd end up having more of a clay pipe then a meer, or am I missing the mark?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Perhaps you are correct. I've never smoked either. The only clay pipes that I have seen are all extremely similar as a cutty-shape. I would also think that they are created differently. Are clay pipes carved or molded?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a few Zenith double wall clay "ceramic" pipes and a few of the authentic clay mold pipes. The Zeniths are great for trying new tobaccos as they don't ghost any flavor but they can get a bit hot if your not really careful. They have military style bits and rubber tenons and come in several shapes. The traditional clay pipes I have I rarely use as they just feel wrong in my teeth and were bought on a whim.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Clay pipes are in general molded then fired which gives them their heat resistance. I've no clue as to what the heat resistance of PP is but I'm pretty sure its typical uses don't involve much direct exposure to high temps. Cobs use PP on the outside but I don't know about the inside.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Another search for "Hardening Plaster of Paris" brought me this site:

http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Henley-s-20th-Century-Formulas-Recipes-Processes-Vol3/Hardening-and-Toughening-Plaster-of-Paris.html
Plaster of Paris at times sets too rapidly; therefore the following recipe for toughening and delaying drying will be useful. To calcined plaster of Paris add 4 per cent of its weight of powdered marshmallow root, which will keep it from setting for about an hour, and augment its hardness when set, or double the quantity of marshmallow root powder, and the plaster will become very firm, and may be worked 2 or 3 hours after mixing, and may be carved and polished when hard. It is essential that these powders, which are of different densities and specific gravities, should be thoroughly mixed, and the plaster of Paris be quite fresh, and it must be passed through fine hair sieves to ensure its being an impalpable powder. To ensure thorough mixing, pass the combined powders through the hair sieve three times. Make up with water sufficient for the required model or models. Should any of the powder be left over it may be kept by being put in an air-tight box and placed in a warm room.
The marshmallow root powder may be replaced by dextrin, gum arabic, or glue. The material treated is suitable while yet in a soft state, for rolling, glass-tube developing, making plates, etc.
I am researching now to see any effects of burning/inhaling marshmallow root powder. I know that simply buying a meer would be much simpler, but I have always loved researching things and seeing what variuos options were available.
Thank you all for your input. It is all very insightful.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The other thing to look into when choosing a glue is water solubility. I know I used to use Gorilla glue in the making of knife handles and changed when I had a filleting blade come out of an antler handle because Gorilla glue dissolves in water so now I use a two part epoxy. lol

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I think your best bet is to use Play-Doh. It's non-toxic - kids eat it all the time - and comes in a great variety of colors. You could make some fantastic pipes with it. :wink:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
According to "http://www.smokableherbs.com/marshmallow-roots/", there would be nothing at all wrong in using powdered marshmallow root as an adhesive bond for the plaster. The herb can be chewed, swallowed, inhaled, or vaporized.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Why not just use dental plaster? I highly recommend a product called Excalibur. You can buy it at Atlantic Dental Supply. Its considerably harder then Plaster of Paris.

I like this out-of-the-box thinking, and I try my best not to be the negative nanny. But, a couple of things to consider. Calcium, which is the major component in gyspum, which is what makes up plaster of Paris, reacts drastically to thermal shock. These crystals that give it the properties of setting while drying will actually be a reason why this material will most likely pop apart when you try to smoke in it. If you use a binder, it would have to be heat resistant and carry the bulk of holding the pipe together, which puts the glue it in the cyanoacrylates (Superglue) category, which is toxic when heated, but retains it's adhesive properties (you can get these at RC hobby stores, same thing we use in lapidary). This is why those reconstituted compressed meerschaums are such a bad idea. If they don't break on you, the fumes will kill you after a while.

Also, a Plaster of Paris pipe will not patina, which to me would be a main reason to even consider a meerschaum. If you don't want this property, or it doesn't matter, just stain a briar pipe white, like those old Kaywoodies.
Otherwise, I like this type of thinking. Good stuff. Don't let me be your killjoy though. If you solve the problems, and come up with something fantastic, I'll be the first to applaud.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Hrmm. The lack of patina is quite unfortunate, and was something that I was not aware of.
The binder that I was going to use (or WILL use when I get time to try) will be marshmallow root powder, and not any type of glue or adhesive. It's a non-toxic and even medicinal. It will apparently augment the hardening, strengthening the plaster.
Whether it will give an advantage to burning tobacco, I don't know. But even if it doesn't, and the whole thing is a bust, then the plaster and root will still be useful in their own rights, and the whole experiment would not have been a total waste of resources.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Plaster of paris is used by missouri meerschaum to coat the bowl of the cobs. They then sand off the excess and the rest is sealed into the cobs. I have experimented with plaster of paris before and it works well on cobs but im not sure about making an entire pipe out of it. I have also considered making clay pipes coated with plaster of paris then sanded down a bit. Let us know how it goes, I am curious to see the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.