Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
E8110DAD-63CB-45F3-A9FF-CC6AF55DD37E-17257-000021B87653DE60_zps84c902b9.jpg
Rowing up in prep to plant cane, laying 4 ft long stalks length wise and cane will sprout at each knuckle.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
When I was working in the Camen's we would chew on cane while we were rebuilding their homes from the storms. The people there are so nice to us. They would always have coffee and fresh fruit at the job sites in the morning, with lunch being prepped as we were finishing breakfast. Warm hearted people who have very little to give gave us everything in thanks for rebuilding their homes after a hurricane. It was satisfying and rewarding to know these people can live happily in a home that I built/repaired for them. I also took away a life lesson I've never forgotten: Take care of your fellow man no matter the circumstances because we are all in this together and we will never win if we're alone. A very old Dominican lady told me this as I was helping her round up a goat to kill for dinner that night. I have never forgotten her face or her kind words and I know shes long passed on now but what she said will stick with me until my last breath.

oldman

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
Cajun & Cav, you both have my respect...thanks for making this world a better place.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for sharing this, Bradley. After the harvest, do you burn the fields, as they do in Florida?
You'll have to take some of the harvested cane and make the Vietnamese shrimp paste on cane sugar and the cane stuffed with sticky rice that's so delicious (and habit-forming). 8)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
They invented a cutter that cost 275,000$ to cut it in sticks about 16 inches in length to stop burning, but they still burn, farmers like that smell and says it loads better LOL, didn"t get much Viet sugar, ate a few Monkeys, LOL

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Grew up in south Fl, in the 50's & longer, always went to lake Okeechobee to fish & Saw Grass & closer at that time. Sweet snack was chewing cane. Thanks for posting, Sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.