PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks to a friend of mine in Bucharest, I have been gifted, this past week, a small zip lock bag filled with what I understand is a bulk only tobacco, sold in the US. Open to new things I though I would play around with it, and based on this little amount of tobacco (maybe 5 full bowls) I have decided to write a few lines. First off, the name is a bit misleading as this is a virginia/latakia blend and not an English. The nose is mild latakia-ish, although given the package and the amount I would not be able to say anything beyond that. Judging from the looks of it, a broad ribbon cut with lots of blond looking Virginia, one would expect a sweet Virginia forward blend; counterbalanced by the minority presence of a latakia. Again, misleading. The blend is quite latakia forward, which has a specific sweetness, only improved slightly by the Virginia. It is indeed mild, and here the name did the blend justice - we could call it mellow even. As far as the latakia presence, I wouldn't call it light nor heavy - as most latakia blends I have met in the past, but I would rather call it a mid of the road blend. It contains just enough latakia to make the smoke pleasurable, not overwhelming in flavor and nicotine, but at the same time not sufficiently faint to annoy one by it's lack of personality. It does contain some sort of sweet vinegary topping, if you pay close attention to the smoke, but it is a mute background presence which has little impact over the overall smoking experience.
All in all, I would't hoard this if I had a chance, but wouldn't mind having around a jar or two. Like I said, it contains a unique balance of latakia and virginia, with latakia being a mid of the road strength, and Virginia as a secondary supporting tobacco having little influence on meeting the smoker's expectation from a Virginia. The vitamine N is mild to medium. Moisture ... even though it may not feel wet to the touch, it does require quite some relights and leaves moisture in the bowl - quite punishing on the filter, but no bite what so ever - which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.