PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicalgibbon

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
UK
I've done a quick search and can see that a variety of this question has been discussed before but I'd love to read some wisdom from the Pipe Hive Mind.
I'm away on holiday for a couple of weeks soon (trans. 'vacation' for those the other side of the big pond). I'm not flying so have got some space in the car and don't need to worry about airports, customs (unless they've added a border check between England and Wales since the last time I went there - crazier things are happening in the world right now) or stuff being damaged in a plane hold.
I've been smoking pipes for a while but my collection of baccy and pipes has grown rather worryingly (don't tell my wife) over the past few months. Now I'm in a quandry... how many pipes and tobacco blends should I take away with me? I'm thinking a few blends will do: a nice, mild English blend for day-to-day mooching about and a more interesting one for sitting outdoors in the evening contemplating life, the universe and mosquitos. Or perhaps a couple more... and how many pipes to go with it... ???
What would you do?

magicalgibbon

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
UK
Well... she doesn't mind it but I smoke sporadically in the house. More important, my parents will be with us and my mum - lovely as she is - hates smoking with a passion! So I'll be smoking outside all of the time whilst I'm away. I reckon I'll get through four or five pipes a day on holiday.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even with a sympathetic travel partner in my wife, I find my smoking limited when I travel. I'm not one who smokes and drives or otherwise multitasks much with a pipe. So I usually just do a bowl every day or two, outdoors of the lodging. For this purpose, three or four pipes and three or four blends in pouches or tins does just fine. Though I have a beautiful leather pipe case, I prefer an inexpensive nylon shaving kit that would attract few thieves, unless they are desperate for someone elses deodorant and razor. Don't forget your matches and/or lighter, pipe cleaners, and pipe tool. I don't take my most treasured pipes, hoping they're safe at home. But I take good pipes, valued cobs and nice mid-range briars, to fully enjoy the fewer smokes. You have a special problem with your travel party. If it causes discord, I'd consider not trying to smoke your pipe, if you're comfortable with that. Family politics are endlessly complicated and fraught in many cases, and you don't want much of that on holiday.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
May be counter-intuitive but a Meerschaum pipe might be good to bring along. There is the danger of breaking it but it requires less rest between smokes. If you are smoking 4-5 bowls a day you may end up with a lot of pipes on hand! Smoking outside so don't forget the wind cap for those briars.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If it were me, I'd probably only pack one pipe, maybe two, just because I know myself pretty well. I will over think the hell out of it before traveling, and end up packing crap I didn't even need or have the time to use. You'd be surprised. I may think I'm going to have a lot of time to get away for a smoke, but when on vacation, especially with other family members, we tend to end up doing more things than I think we will. I'd like to think I could enjoy at least a bowl a day, but realistically, things come up, out of the blue, sporadically and they tend to be things involving the family, so the only time I'd have a chance might be either very early or late in the evening. Being on vacation, I'd rather sleep when and how I want without the worry. I'd say pick a few blends that most don't mind the aroma of, then just one pipe, maybe two, but I agree that I'd leave the treasured items at home. I'd be the first one to lose/break a nice pipe, lose my good lighter/tamp, while on vacation and have to buy matches/cheap lighter and trying to find something to tamp/pick out my pipe with on the fly. I'd probably take a few of my cobs, even though my MM Cobbler is becoming one of my favorite pipes to smoke and as treasured as any other pipe, but it smokes too well to leave behind. Just my two cents.

magicalgibbon

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
UK
Thanks all. Good advice. I don't think anyone will be offended by my smoking, as long as it isn't inside, so I'll definitely be doing some. I've painted my mum to be a bit of a dragon there... she's far from it! The family unit should remain intact with a pipe involved.
I think you're right carolinachurchwarden - there's a very real danger of overcomplicating. And a meer is a very good idea, seldom. If only I had one... I've got a meer-lined briar, which is one of my favourites.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
MSO's advice is sound, I think. I seriously doubt you will get time on your own to smoke 5 bowls a day. 2-3 would be a more realistic bet. I would pack 4 briars and a cob. Maybe 5-6 blends. Tins, 'cause they take little space and are handy. I find it practical to put all of my smoking gear in a rucksack (I think it is called), and take out the pipes that need rest, when possible.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
magical', no disrespect to your mom at all. It's her holiday too. And it's much better when people let their feelings be known, makes for better family harmony. All members of a travel party must be given plenty of say. When I can travel with others, it always creates a special bond, because it's a special art. I'd rather work with their preferences than have them unhappy. We're creatures made to live in groups, even us really introverted folks (me). ...I've missed going to Wales, but my sister and her husband did, and when they heard a choir, they then went afterwards to a nearby pub, where the choir reappeared and sang on into the night, beautifully. One of her treasured memories.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
As many pipes and blends as you can fit. That's my honest answer and I'm sticking to it. My wife is always amused (slight sarcasm) when she watches me fill a drawer of a dresser with all of the pipes and tobaccos that I packed.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Personally, I tend to take just two pipes with me on holiday, and just one tobacco. Holidays (for me at least) are about travelling light and reducing the things I have to think about. Incidentally, as I live in Bristol, the 'border' to Wales isn't far away - let me know if there are signs of a hard border going up! :crazy:
Mike

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
My travel pack is always the same, my Nording signature, a second brier, 1 Kirsten with two bowls (one meer, one brier), and one simple meer. With of course the tools and accessories. I take one good day time smoke with good room note, one english or balkan, and usually a blend edging towards an aromatic if I'm around mixed company and want to smoke but wish for a good room note.

Status
Not open for further replies.