Planning a Trip to Canada? Check This Out First! (Smoking Regulations)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
This morning, I was researching the "Clean-Air" bylaws in one of the local municipalities, and stumbled across a rather disturbing document produced by the so-called Non-Smokers Rights Association of Canada. Basically, it outlines each provinces current policies regarding smoking, then goes further to outline which municipalities have gone above and beyond to persecute those who simply want to light-up. Although the list isn't all inclusive (legislation comes down so hard and fast these days...), it's pretty up to date.
The full document can be found here (requires pdf reader).
Individual provinces can be found on the following pages:

BC - Pages 1 - 10

Alberta - Pages 10 - 12

Saskatchewan - Page 13

Manitoba - Pages 13 - 14

Ontario - Pages 14 - 33

Quebec - Page 34

New Brunswick - Page 34

Nova Scotia - Page 35 - 36

Prince Edward Island - Page 37

Newfoundland and Labrador - Page 37

Yukon Territory - Page 37 - 38

Northwest Territories - Page 38

Nunavut - Page 38

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Man, yall got it pretty bad up there. The way things are going here in the US this may be what we are looking at. :crying:

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for the info.
Heading to Vancouver, BC later this year. Guess I better be aware of the rules.....

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Actually there are numerous places in the US and Europe that basically have similar laws.
It's not overly complex in Ontario basically you can't smoke in any indoor public building, hospitals you can't even smoke on their property. If a bar has a patio that is covered, you can't smoke on it. You can't smoke in any workplace this includes a vehicle that is used for work.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I find the highlighted 'NEW!' next to the locations disturbing. I can see the person adding them bouncing in their seat with glee as they Highlight the 'NEW!'. While I don't do it myself, I find the whole "No smoking in the car with a child under 19 present" thing a bit absurd. I don't know of anybody who smokes in the car with the windows all the way up.
-Jason

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
My Dad smoked in the car with us kids in there all the time, I was 17 before I knew it wasn't always foggy 30 miles from my house ;)

In all seriousness my sister in-law who lives in Ohio was told her 6 year old has bronchitis and she shouldn't smoke around him, her reaction was "I'm not goin outside to smoke" and she doesn't. The kid has a persistent cancer cough that you only hear in 30 year smokers. The laws aren't to deny our rights but to protect his (which they obviously aren't doing...I think she should be jailed)
Here in Ontario some of the anti-smoking laws make sense but there are some that are totally clueless...(can only smoke outside work in an enclosure if it has 2 sides...either a roof or a floor but not both, while standing on one leg with your left eye closed j/k )...but I'm ok with not killing my kids by smoking in the car...small sacrifice.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Well put unixhelp! I'm all for our rights as smokers, but I'm a big advocate that we should respect those who choose not to smoke, just as we want them to respect our decision. It should be a mutual thing but sadly it's becoming a one sided argument against us. But as far as kids go, I find that disgusting that someone could do that to their child (probably because I delt with that as a child). :|

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I was offended for years by cigarette smokers in restaurants so i understand that side of the equation. I also know several smoke friendly bars and restaurants if i feel the desire. The thorne in my side right now is eleminiating my smoking while or after fishing. Until this year it was always a cigar, now pipe (unless in an open air state park)... :cry:

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Oh...btw if you plan to visit Canada...bring your favorite blend with you, pipe tobacco is hard to find, variety is very limited and it's close to $20 a 50g pouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.