PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
If you could enjoy a pipe with anyone throughout history, during any time period, and at any place - who would it be, when would it be, and where would it be? Explain why you chose your answer.
For me, I would enjoy my pipe next to Jerome Weidman and Albert Einstein during the 1950s at the house where they first met. This article is relevant to my choice and is my favorite of any Reader's Digest articles past or present: http://www.rd.com/true-stories/inspiring/the-night-i-met-einstein/
My nickname in school was always Einstein. I was very academically minded and thought a lot more about things like philosophy and history and what-not than my peers. I always have thought of him as a great man. His writings, which I had been exposed to from a very young age, have been very influential in my own life.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I would enjoy a pipe with my two deceased pipe-smoking grandfathers, who both died before I was old enough to smoke a pipe. Probably at the lake house on a warm summer evening.
Alternatively, I would enjoy an evening out with the "Inklings"; J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and many other interesting writers/philosophers would get together periodically at a pub over a pipe and a beer and discuss their writings and musings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1 The pipe babes-obvious reasons :D
2 Hugh Hefner-same reason
3 My grandfather on my fathers side on his front porch swing in front of the old family house back in the 70's-he passed away when I was nine, and I took up pipe smoking to feel a connection to him. My family says that I remind them more of him than I do my own father, and really wish I could have known him better as a grown up.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Obviously my dad, although he would probably be enjoying a good $5.00 cigar. I'm betting they can be had where he is.
In keeping with the spirit of the question: Mark Twain and, cheating here of course, during the time he was helping finance Grant with his autobiography. The three of use would sit on the banks of the Hudson, discussing anything and everything that came to mind.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
3 My grandfather on my fathers side on his front porch swing in front of the old family house back in the 70's-he passed away when I was nine, and I took up pipe smoking to feel a connection to him. My family says that I remind them more of him than I do my own father, and really wish I could have known him better as a grown up.
Exact same story, except my grandfather died in '69 and I was 11 at the time.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, about writing, of course, and thier personal philosophies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Excluding my personal ancestors I would probably pick Cole Younger shortly before he died in 1916. I'd want to know what it was really like to have been a Confederate Bushwacker in MO & KS leading up to and during the Civil War. In spite of what he has said I would want to know what he really thought of Jesse, and of his intense friendship all his life with Frank. I'd want to ask just what the hell he was thinking going to Minnesota like that? And what it was like to still carry 17 mini-balls in his body for the rest of his life?
I could talk to the likes of him for hours!

Jan 8, 2013
Tolkien, hands down. To be able to enjoy a pipe and talk writing with him would be amazing. I wonder if he would have liked the story I'm writing.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Toughie but for me it would be General of the Army Douglas MacArthur and General George S. Patton. I would want to hear about their time as service men and hear their philosophies on LIBERTY.
I would want to meet with them soon before the death of Patton because I’d like to get insights on the world as they knew it in a post WWII era without having to hear their take on a 21st Century America.
MacArthur_Manila

Corbis-U691615ACME.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.