PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was in bed last night reading some old threads on the forum when I happened upon a post from a chap that made me quite sad. He had just received a $50 (£35:20) bonus from work and went to his local B&M looking to spend his new found fortune on an estate pipe but was bemoaning the fact that all of the estates on offer were above his fund limit. What made sadder reading was a subsequent post from another member informing him not to expect any quality British or American estate pipes for anywhere near that price and suggested he save up to at least $100 then go looking afresh. It was that statement that inspired me to write these words on purchasing estate pipes from my own perspective.
I only started piping in September last year (2015) after many years a ‘roll your own’ smoker. An old pal (whom I never knew had smoked) very kindly gifted me his entire pipe collection that had been languishing in his garage some 20 years or so. Very generous of him. Up to that point I only had about four pipes, all cheap basket pipes + one rather nice Parker and all I had bought new. With my clutch of new (old) pipes I set about restoring them. I had had no experience of doing anything like this though I do have past experience working with wood.
Whilst embarking on this project I was also reading as much as I could find on the internet relating to the subject of pipe restoration. Most websites had something useful to offer but one in particular, Reborn Pipes (run by Steve Vaug) was the most useful (if a tad repetitive sometimes) in terms of variety of methods used and what materials to use and when to use them.
Those pipes were a great opportunity for me as I was able to make any mistakes without it costing me financially but more importantly I learned a heck of a lot working on those musty old briars. It was then that I realised I had very much enjoyed the experience and wanted to carry on. This is where eBay comes into the frame.
After a few false starts I began to have a steady flow of pipes coming in, usually in batches of perhaps 5 – 15 pipes per batch. I was of the idea that once restored to useable condition, any that didn’t quite take my fancy I would offload elsewhere. This is still my thinking, though I have yet to offload a single pipe! The problem is that I want to keep most of the pipes that I work on so I have to be firm with myself. Now, for every new ‘keeper’ pipe one existing ‘keeper’ pipe must go into the selling box. Thus far I have about 20 pipes in the selling box and about 80 – 90 pipes for keepers!
But back to the origins of this tale. Oftentimes folks advertise pipes without quite knowing what they have in their hands and this works to the buyer’s favour. I have had some stunning pipes that have cost me less than £10 ($14:23) and by stunning I mean great lookers and great smokers. As for named brands I have been very lucky in that department too, my best deal thus far was a Comoy’s 235 Extraordinaire Oom Paul that cost me a whopping £6:67 ($9:49) and a chap on this forum who is a known Comoy’s expert has valued at twixt $240 - $400 (£168:98 - £281:64) though granted that was based solely on information given, he had not seen the pipe. I spent roughly 4 hours in cleaning the whole pipe which is actually less than the average of circa 6 hours total.
Comoy's Extraordinaire before...
_57-4-600x343.jpg

...and after
119-600x399.jpg

Another example is a Peterson 307 huge bent billiard pipe that cost me £3:72 ($5:29). That took a fair bit of work to make presentable (mainly due to the shape of the stem, lots of awkward places for oxidation to hide) but worth it in the end. Alas as I cannot smoke pipes with the P-lip stem so that will have to be sold off but rest assured, it will sell for considerably more than I paid for it. Of course any monies that are profits from non keepers will pay for all my restoration materials plus should actually pay for the pipes I decide to keep.
Peterson 307 before...
11-2-600x450.jpg

...and after
1110-600x399.jpg

So for a minimal outlay on materials, some judicious eBay purchasing and a fair dollop of elbow grease one can indeed smoke a quality pipe for little money but one has to put the work in! I myself am disabled so pipe restoration suits me fine as I have plenty of time (other interests allowing) and the bulk of it is done sitting down. I do not possess a buffer by the way so all of my work is done by hand. My finished pipes might not win any awards but I am more than delighted with them, they are thoroughly clean and sanitised and on the whole are great smokers.
I appreciate that the chap who had the $50 to spend on an estate wanted a ‘ready to go’ pipe but really, one should give pipe restoration a go, it is useful, money saving and can become quite addictive. Plus, another skill learned is surely another string to one’s bow? So to say one needs to amass $100+ to invest in a decent estate pipe is absolute tosh.
I do hope that someone finds this info useful and perhaps tempts them to dip their toe into the lovely warm water that is estate pipe restoration.
Regards,
Jay.
(All price conversions are at the rates set for today, April 11 2016).

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
A great post! Restoring an estate pipe is very rewarding, and makes owning and using the pipe that much better. I recommend everyone should give it a few tries. It makes for a good project to take a 70 year old pipe and bring it back to life.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
90% of my collection are estates that I restored. I learned pretty quickly that I could afford much higher grade pipes if I was willing do do the work myself. I post on the Reborn Pipes blog (Steve Laug), under the name "upshallfan". I got my start reading Steve's post on the old SmokersForums, before he started the blog.
Nice work!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Way to go Jay! I, like many others here enjoy the process of cleaning and restoring estate pipes. Like Al, the bulk of my pipes are ones I've restored, and like you, I find that some I want to keep, and others just aren't what I really want or need.
So congrats on discovering one of the joys of piping! :clap:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep. It pays to do your own clean up. With a few exceptions that required more skill than I possess, I've done all my own clean ups. Congrats on the Comoy! Deals like that don't come often. My best Comoy is a Blue Riband Canadian with the two tone high contrast finish for $6. It was barely smoked, just grimy and terribly photographed.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I learned pretty quickly that I could afford much higher grade pipes if I was willing do do the work myself.
Very true Al, very true.
The desire for "higher grade" pipes is natural, but let us not forget that there are budget-minded pipes to be had that are decent / okay smokers and can be had for well below $100.
Cobs of course, but Dr. Grabow is another - very reasonable new for what you get, damn near free as estates.
Heck, you can't throw a rock in NC without hitting a Grabow estate pipe, almost always for less than 10 bucks. I have a number of these I use as knock-around pipes - okay smokers and are rugged workhorses.
I don't think I have paid more than $5 for any of them and with a little clean-up server their purpose well.
Edit - Oh, and well done on bringing those pipes back mawnansmiff, well done indeed.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Great post! Another consideration is location of the buyer and seller. I've noticed several of what I would consider to be great buys on eBay, however the seller is located in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. So there is international shipping to contend with if you are not in the same country as the seller, grant it, you can still get some awesome deals from "Across the Pond"! :puffpipe:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks chaps for the kind words, it's nice to see that folks are indeed taking up restoration. No matter how much money I had, I still reckon I would be doing this. It is a great feeling settling down of an evening and filling a bowl of a freshly restored briar and lighting it up for the first time in perhaps decades, enjoying the smoke (hopefully) and thinking to oneself 'I did that'.
Pretty much as I am doing now with a 'lowly' Dr. Plumb Standard bent Dublin filled with Condor long cut...bloody fantastic :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never restored a pipe and have no plans to do so in the future. I cannot even imagine trying something like that. People like myself are needed as who is going to buy the pipes you guys restore all the time? I hope you guys appreciate the laziness of my kind of guy, I hope you understand that lazy ones like me keep the estate market going. So next time you look at one of your fantastic clean up jobs, think if me and my kind.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Great post ! There are good deals out there if you take the time to look for them and not just on Ebay. Some good deals can be found on Etsy and other sites.
Another resource for info on buying and restoring estate pipes is an E-book by Dave Whitney entitled Old Briar-Pipe Smoking on a Budget. It's available on Amazon-Kindle, free if you are a subscriber,or $7.99 as a download. He used to sell it direct on CD also.

http://www.amazon.com/OLD-BRIAR-Pipe-Smoking-Budget-ebook/dp/B00557L6J2?ie=UTF8&keywords=Dave%20Whitney&qid=1460397941&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Another resource for info on buying and restoring estate pipes is an E-book by Dave Whitney entitled Old Briar-Pipe Smoking on a Budget.
That's the book that got me started on estates. He tells you how to start without using expensive tools, too. Can't recommend highly enough.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cost on ebay in no way determines a quality smoking pipe. I have number of $20 GBD's that smoke as well as my much more pricey Ashton, Dunhil, artisan, etc. pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Cost on ebay in no way determines a quality smoking pipe." Al this is so very true, I used the Comoy's & Peterson pipes as examples of well respected brand pipes that many folks hanker after. It was not intended as an indication of their smoking qualities.
"I have number of $20 GBD's that smoke as well as my much more pricey Ashton, Dunhil[sic], artisan, etc. pipes." This too is very true. I have many 'no name' brands of pipe that are excellent smokers. I put it down to pipe snobbery and there are a lot of pipe snobs out there. I personally think it absurd to spend several hundred pounds/dollars (in some cases thousands) on what is effectively a block of wood with two holes in it. A pipe is a device for smoking tobacco in and nothing more. Aesthetics do come into the equation but the smoking quality is first and foremost....at least to me it is.
I would love to set up a 'blind smoke in' where the so called pipe experts are given (blindfolded of course) a top of the range Dunhill and a lowly (but well made) £15/$20 piece of no name briar to smoke and then determine which pipe is which. I seriously think it would work out a 50/50 split.
Regards,
Jay.
PS: Am expecting a whole load of hate mail for my last statement :crying:

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
What a great post. None of my big name pipes make it into my rotation due to my number of favourites.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smokingpipes.com and other online retailers have reconditioned estate pipes, ready to smoke, for fifty bucks. Pipesandcigars has Stawells on sale new often for fifty. Ebay has pipes of many descriptions for well under fifty, if you know what you are looking at and shop carefully with low bids. You can get a handful of good, long-lasting corncob pipes and a bulk bag or two of blend for fifty. If you have to time to restore a pipe, or pipes, the possibilities are many. Anyone who can't set up for good smoking with fifty dollars for a pipe needs to abandon the project or do a little more reading and chatting with pipe people.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
There are many bargains out there and as you rightly state MSO, anyone who cannot get up & running for $50/£35 needs some proper guidance.
I personally like to buy not too well described pipes in batches, that way I often get lucky. Only yesterday a bundle of 10 pipes + a decent 6 pipe round stand arrived here and included was a rather nice Peterson 68 Kapruf and other cracking pipes, and each one cost me £2:71 exactly!
I knew there was a Peterson in the batch but it was so poorly photographed all I could see was the P-lip.
Incidently it was under similar circumstances that I acquired the above mentioned Comoy's Extraordinaire, the 'before' photo above was what the seller had on the advert, no mention of Comoy's at all. I just saw a dirty Oom Paul and only realised what I had won once it arrived here!
Regards,
Jay.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
That is a very sad story which makes me wish I knew who it was who couldn't afford a nice pipe. Knowing this forum in the short time I've been posting, all of you feel the same. Deals can be found, but I'd imagine some older posters might not want do do eBay, etc. I admire the making and restoring work many here do, the restorations in this post are excellent. Great thread and thanks for taking the time to write it out.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Joining this forum is what inspired me to restore a few old pipes for personal use. I do lament the fact, however, that the reborn popularity of pipe smoking is causing quite an increase in the cost of estate pipes, as it is becoming much more difficult to find those higher end Marques at reasonable prices, Castellos and Dunhills for under a hundred are rare indeed, as are Comoys, GBD's, heck, even Petersons. It's much more reasonable at the prices being asked to just go ahead and buy one already cleaned up from a dealer, than to spend nearly the same and do it yourself. Oh, there are deals to be had, of course, but they are much rarer than they used to be just a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.