PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So I am a fan of rum flavored blends, like G&H rum flake. You can still taste the tobacco underneath the topping.
I am also fond of McConnell Glen Piper. You can taste the Virginia underneath the cavendish.
My question is, for the Wilke blends, in particular the 515 and the rumcake, how heavy is the topping? Can you still taste the tobacco?
What is the difference between the 515 and the rumcake, which is better?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You don't get that much tobacco taste with these blends, especially the Rumcake. The tobaccos are high quality and the Jamaican rum used is really good. I prefer the #515 because it has more flavor nuance. Here's my reviews of both:
Rumcake:

The Jamaican rum is richly sweet with a little spice and is the star flavor. You will taste a light honey note from the gold cavendish from time to time, and some vanilla from either a topping or black cavendish or both (I suspect both is the correct answer). I occasionally get a hint of burley, but it's strictly condimental, as is the Virginia, which is slightly grassy when you notice it. May need a slight dry time because it is moist, but drying it will lose you some of the rum, so you'll have to decide how you want to play it. Burns well and slow, but needs to be sipped to avoid some dottle, and the tongue tingle that can arise for the faster puffer.
#515:

This blend took me a little time to figure out how I felt about it. It's not as sweet as I expected, and has a floral essence that may not suit some smokers. There's a light vanilla note that plays well with the spicy rum flavor, which is moderate in strength. I suspect a touch of coumarin or deer tongue is present, too, which would account for the floral notes and vanilla, though black cavendish also accounts for the vanilla. The Virginia is hay-like, grassy, lightly sweet, and as another reviewer suspected, is of the flue cured variety. It may bite if puffed at a fast rate, but it does burn well, even, and leaves no moisture. The room note is sweet and very mildly floral.
Having smoked a bit of it now, I'm reminded just a little of Germain's Plum Cake. Both must use a similar type of dark spice rum. An interesting change of pace smoke for me, though I have found myself wanting to smoke a bowl a day since I started smoking it. I consider this to be a blend one has to work one's way into to enjoy. If you get used to the floral flavor -which isn't very strong - you'll like it. If you don't, well, you probably won't.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Jim, do you have any recommendations among Carol's blends for someone that doesn't care for flavored tobaccos or latakia? I really want to throw her some business.
Sorry Sallow for the thread jack.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bigpond: I've only tried four of her blends, so I am not knowledgeable enough to really answer your question. She makes great blends, but they aren't inexpensive.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
No problem bigpond, and thanks, jiminks. I don't think these are for me.
If at some point I purchase an estate pipe from her, I might pick up an ounce or two to try.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I haven't smoked the 515 but Rumcake is a high quality aromatic. The flavoring is less rum as it is actual "rum cake". So it has more in common with, say, Autumn Evening, than it does Navigator or something like Blockade Runner.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
sallow:
You might consider Ms. Burns' sampler offering which is described on her Website (Pipeworks & Wilke) as follows:
TOBACCO SAMPLER

If you would like to become acquainted with Pipeworks and Wilke's fabulous tobaccos, I suggest the tobacco sampler. Choose four different tobaccos from the website and I will send you a two ounce pouch of each blend. (If you cannot quite narrow your selection down to four blends you are more than welcome to add as many as you like for an additional charge per blend).. After sampling these fine tobaccos you can decide which are your favorites.
$42.00 postage paid, $36.00 when ordered with other items.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Jiminks, I very much enjoy your reviews and you have such a body of work in them.

What is it exactly that gives the floral tone to such blends? Is it orientals? What is the difference between orientals and Turkish tobaccos?
I am relatively new to the world outside of aromatic tobaccos. I only started smoking Va and VaPer blends at the encouragement of a member here on the forum a couple of years ago or less. A gourd calabash estate I purchased some time back had (to me) horrible floral stench. On smoking the Seattle Pipe Clubs Deception Pass I discovered that it contains some Turkish tobacco. I liked the blend very much. More that just plain VaPers I have smoked to date. I did not (to me) detect a floral note in the Turkish.
Sorry if this deflects from the main thread, Sallow. I was just curious about the "Floral" aspects of the #515.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Okiescout: Thank you for the kind words. Floral notes can come from toppings or tobaccos. As I mentioned in my review, I'm not sure what gives #515 that floral note. It's very minor, but I like it.
The differences between Orientals and Turkish are partly regional. Tobacco varietals grown in different places can have a variance of flavors due to climate and soil. I can't remember where I got this quote, but you may find it interesting: "[Oriental] derives its name from the area in which it's grown: the Eastern Mediterranean. Each of the varietals, in fact, are named after the towns or regions they come from. Thus Yenidje and Smyrna are Greek, Samsun and Izmir are Turkish, Drama is from Greece also, and Xanthe is from the region of Thrace, which is also in Greece. For all intents and purposes this is all one region, united for many years under Turkish rule (hence the interchangeable terms "Oriental" and "Turkish".)"

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the informative (as usual) answer, Jminks.
This helps clear up a some confusion on my part about some things I have read concerning ingredients in certain blends.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I've been smoking the Germain's plum cake all week since I had a tin jarred up. The tin note is very anise, which pleases me. The smoke is a light tobacco with some fruity rum. It is very pleasant.
I might be coming around. It is a change of pace from the stronger virginias I've been smoking.

sav-0815-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.