PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
So, as I understand it, Laudisi owns at least SmokingPipes, Cornell and Diehl, and Peterson pipes (but not Peterson tobacco). And then of course Cornell and Diehl manufactures GL Pease tobaccos while Sutliff manufactures Seattle Pipe Club blends. I guess that in addition to it's own line Germain produces tobacco blends for Esoterica, Butera, and Smoker's Haven. Pipes and Cigars is somehow affiliated with Cigars International, Cigar Bid, and Russ Ouellette, who has created blends for brands such as Missouri Meerschaum, Standard Tobacco Company, and who knows who else. Mac Baren makes the Savinelli and Peterson blends. Kohlhase and Kopp makes Rattray, Solani, Astley's, and Ashton tobaccos. STG owns a ton of blends and brands, which ones I don't know. And then there's Lane and whatever else it is that they do with whoever else they're mixed up with. It's all quite convoluted and confusing yet interesting to a guy like me who loves to indulge in the vast array of pipe related brands and products on the market.
So who can help me figure it all out? Who owns which brands which are manufactured by who? Which companies are parents of which others? Web sites, pipe factories, blending houses, and whatever else related to pipes and tobacco are fair game. If you know of an industry relationship that I missed or got wrong please post it here. I know that there is a lot of collective knowledge held within the membership of this forum and I look forward to hearing what you all know about this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sutliff manufactures Seattle Pipe Club blends.
They also manufacture many of Russ Ouellette's blends as well as Mac Baren. Kohlhase and Kopp are the manufacturers of Vauen blends as well.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
It's the way things work these days. Look at Swatch Group and Richemont Group

Or VW's suite of brands.

Part of me hopes this means that more obscure blends will be allowed to hold on as loss leaders or vanity products, like Bugatti. VW made a loss in the million of Euros on each Veyron it sold. The Chiron is considerably more expensive but is also considerably more advanced.

The greater part of me suspects that the old "business is business" mantra will prevail, with homogenisation and a dilution of blend characteristics.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I easn’t impressed with the Veyron and traded mine in on a Golf Sportwagen 4Motion. I smoke John Cotton blends in that car, which are made by Lane, for P&C, under license from The Standard Tobacco Co. of Pennsylvania.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
IRRC, Mac Baren, which produces St Bruno, Savinelli, owns Sutliff. Sutliff also blends for a number of other labels besides their own.
Cigars International is the parent for Pipes and Cigars, STG owns CI as well as Lane.
Laudisi owns Peterson pipes, C&D, and is the parent of Smoking Pipes.
K&K produces a lot of blends, including Rattray's, Solani, Astley's, and Ashton, and Robert McConnell among others. They also blend for HU. They've just released their version of the Dunhill blends under the Robert McConnell banner.
Germain's is still an independent, producing their own blends as well as Esoterica, Balkan Sobranie, Butera, and Smoker's Haven blends.
And there's Paul Olsen, Planta, and other blenders.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It was not said outright in this thread but STG owns Orlik.
So the K&K Dunhill clones are actually being made? Are they for sale anywhere yet - US or abroad?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Got all that? Makes me dizzy. Did Laudisi start Smoking Pipes or buy it? What's the inside track with Pipes and Cigars and Stanwell pipe? They seem to have the best prices and inventory. C&D was independent and family owned, first in the Northeast and then in Morganton, N.C., before they sold to Smokingpipes.com. I'm glad the blends got carried along.

Status
Not open for further replies.