Pipestud Needs Peterson Pipe Identification Help Please!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang,
I currently have a Peterson's pipe on eBay that I thought was a Pre-Republic pipe, but received an email through the eBay messaging system that now has caused me some concern. I am not even close to being a Peterson's expert (or, an expert on anything for that matter), and have come running to you folks for help again.
First, here is the pipe auction in question - https://www.ebay.com/itm/153499719961
And this is the email I received through the eBay messaging system about the pipe - "...
According to the hallmark, this pipe is from 1976. It's not pre-republic. Pre-republic would be prior to 1950's. Just for your fyi so people don't get a misunderstanding of what they are bidding on. Later in the 1970s, Peterson began production of commemorative pipes, often referred to as replica or retro pipes and these will also have the old style lettering but according to the pipes that we own and have seen, most of these will have a small difference in the forked tail P . Again, there appears to be a cross-over with the old style forked tail and the later forked tail P s. However, these commemorative pipes generally have a silver band with hallmarks so one can date these pipes by the hallmark. As far as I can see, it's a Commemorative Pipe from the 1976 that was meant to be a "replica" of years past.
I want to end the auction if I've goofed up, but trust that someone here can either verify or deny the claim I received through the eBay messaging system from someone that I have never dealt with and do not know.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The source is everything. Unless you get some sense that this is a legitimate knowledgeable source, i'd have to assume he/she is a bidder who wants to talk you out of the auction. I'd factor it out of your thinking unless otherwise advised on the credibility of this person. Likely there are people who know about Peterson series who can be a second source on this.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Peterson pulled a trick on folks during the late 70's and early 80's. The info from the message appears correct. I have one of the pipes with the wind cap and its from 1978. I'll check on your hallmark though.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Yeah. if the hallmark on the band matches the cap, it's a 1976. Gorgeous pipe.
I will be watching this auction, as I would love to buy it. Pre-republic or not it's beauty and I love Peterson wind cap pipes.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
It sure is comforting to know that I now have reliable proven sources to tell me about that pipe. Thanks bunches to ashdigger, sablebrush52, paulfg and unkleyoda for the confirmation. And unfortunately, unkleyoda, I am going to have to end that auction and relist it next Saturday with the corrected information.
You guys rock and thanks again!
Pipestud

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
And unfortunately, unkleyoda, I am going to have to end that auction and relist it next Saturday with the corrected information.
Put a link to the new auction here, as I am interested in adding this pipe to my Peterson collection.
Thanks.

Aug 1, 2012
Could be worse...when I last looked there was a Viprati 'Ciao Lira' pipe being advertised as a "euro coin" pipe. The Euro didn't start in the 1990s when the 1000 Lira coin was made but at least the buyer 'hopefully' did his/her/its homework.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Put a link to the new auction here, as I am interested in adding this pipe to my Peterson collection.Thanks.
And thank you for the interest in that pipe, unkleyoda. I think that I would be breaking Forum Rule #1. if I posted one of my eBay auctions here to promote a sale. However, as a site sponsor, I do have a link to my website here on pipesmagazine.com in the left hand column where it lists "Site Sponsors." When you click that link you will be redirected to my website and in the menu section will be a link to my current eBay auctions.
Thanks again,
Steve

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@Pipestud - what happens off site with forum sponsors, stays off site, so proceed! If a forum sponsor saves some Ebay fees, I'm all for that. I'm glad you found the info you needed. Even with commemorative Pete's, the hallmarks are always correct. (and due to stamps being used beyond eras, a hallmark is truly the only fool proof means of precisely dating a Peterson)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Even with commemorative Pete's, the hallmarks are always correct. (and due to stamps being used beyond eras, a hallmark is truly the only fool proof means of precisely dating a Peterson)
This is why I only buy hallmarked Pete's if I want a historical piece. Especially off FleaBay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipestud, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to bolix up your bids, but the rest of the crew had the lowdown!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
@Pipestud - what happens off site with forum sponsors, stays off site, so proceed! If a forum sponsor saves some Ebay fees, I'm all for that. I'm glad you found the info you needed. Even with commemorative Pete's, the hallmarks are always correct. (and due to stamps being used beyond eras, a hallmark is truly the only fool proof means of precisely dating a Peterson)
Thanks for the clarification, ssjones! I will be sure to post a link to that auction when it starts over next Saturday.
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
pipestud, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to bolix up your bids, but the rest of the crew had the lowdown!-MSO
You sure are right, MSO. Every time I've needed help over the years and posted here, I think the group has batted 1,000!
Steve

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Excuse my budding in but buying from Pipestud is a pleasure and many times an education. Thanks for selling with integrity

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
So cool how the pipe community supports each other. I love the breadth of knowledge everyone has. Also, that's a nice looking Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.