PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Pipestud has an imposter.http://www.ebay.com/itm/CELIUS-QUEEN-GRADE-STAMPED-SHAPE-11-DANISH-HANDMADE-PIPE-PIPESTUD-/381147116438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be237396
Apparently it is OK to tag your title with pipestud to increase the number of hits on your items.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is NOT okay, but probably not against any rules. We could band together, ask the seller a ton of ridiculously detailed questions, and then just not bid on their pipes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sorry... only one word for that, DOUCHE NOZZLE! Although I am a fairly new customer, it is obvious that Steve has worked hard to make a successful business and unassailable name for himself. Man, that irks me to no end even though I am not directly affected by it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've seen this sort of behavior before. There's one seller who adds the words "Barling, Charatan, Dunhill" to his listings of the fungus laden no name splinters that he's trying to pawn off. What makes this idiot think that directing my search to his crapfest is going to result in a sale?

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
:twisted: !!!BEGONE IMPOSTER!! :twisted: The jerkweed changed the listing elimintaing the pipestud tag. YAY!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is great news. I wonder what was the catalyst for that precipitous change in the listing?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
'Pipe Stud' is a recognized brand and one that assures quality and integrity. That joker could be sued and bounced off Ebay, in fact a modest letter of complaint to the Ebay Legal Department would have the desired result.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting, the seller is nearby in Bel Air Maryland - where there is also a large pipe/cigar shop (Main Street Cigar) who sells a lot of estates.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Last evening I sent the seller the following email.....

"Pipestud is a well known Ebay seller....you are doing yourself no good by having his seller name in your post. Many of us that might have bid will not, as you are obviously a seller with no honor."
His response was that he had hit the "sell one like this" button, and did not edit the title as he should. He assured me that it was not his intent to use "Pipestud", and he had fixed the problem on the two pipes that were a problem. In his defense, he is an antique seller that does not seem to deal in pipes.

I am not the most eBay swavy guy. But, I've accidentally hit some sort of "resale" button after buying something on ebay, and it started to relist the item with the exact wording the original vendor used. I have no idea why they would have such a function, unless there are lots of people who buy things to just turn around and try to get more for what they have just bought. For the benefit of the doubt, could this guy have just bought this Celius from PipeStud and then relisted it, using the same words by mistake? Steve does move pipes like this often. I just can't imagine someone thinking that they could get more for it than he does though. But, it was my first thought when I read this post.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Last evening I sent the seller the following email.....

"Pipestud is a well known Ebay seller....you are doing yourself no good by having his seller name in your post. Many of us that might have bid will not, as you are obviously a seller with no honor."
His response was that he had hit the "sell one like this" button, and did not edit the title as he should. He assured me that it was not his intent to use "Pipestud", and he had fixed the problem on the two pipes that were a problem. In his defense, he is an antique seller that does not seem to deal in pipes. - DesertPipe
I appreciate the indignation, gentlemen. Looks like Desert's email to the fellow did the trick. Unfortunately, once every couple of months or so I get a heads up that someone is using my name in the title of their descriptions. If someone else has not already beaten me to it, I file a "Keyword Spamming" complaint against the seller and eBay is usually fairly quick to end such auctions and force the seller to re-list without using my name.
I used to have the same problem with my photos being used in another auction (almost always by a seller who originally purchased the pipe from me). I added a watermark to all of my photos and that helped greatly. I actually didn't mind (too much), novice re-sellers using my photos, but I do admit that seeing my name in the title of an auction (especially one with poor quality photos and very poorly put together item descriptions) is quite irritating.
I sure was gratified by all of your posts coming rapidly to my defense. It made me feel really good and thank you all for getting me into a great "Feel Good" mood to start the weekend!
And in closing, I'd sure hate to have you forum members on my arse! You guys are better than the FBI, CIA, Texas Rangers and the local sheriff!
Thanks again,
Pipestud

Jan 8, 2013
Each time one Pipestud destroys another Pipestud he gains his power. There can be only one.
Highlander-Victory.jpg

I'd sure hate to have you forum members on my arse! You guys are better than the FBI, CIA, Texas Rangers and the local sheriff!
3968396-2819972-walker_texas_ranger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bums drive out the good sellers. In economics, if I remotely remember it, they call it

Gresham's Law, whereby the "cheap money" drives out the good money, in the old days,

the gold and silver coin driven out by printed stuff. However, a quick glance at the offerings

and the descriptions will make the real pipestud shine and the faux pipestud wither.

Status
Not open for further replies.