PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I searched the world over and I thought I found Toby, but he was sold to another and Pffft he was gone!
Actually. Pipestud had a dozen items I would have loved to had, and had them on a list. Orienta and India House went before I could blink. Well, there remained several for several days. I thought I would leave it up to fellow buyers to point me in the right direction.

Sugar Barrel, gone. Crosby Square, gone. The remaining Hayward, gone. Brigg's, Hickory, Friends, Holiday, Cookie Jar... gone. I was left with the one that I wanted the most. One of the Brindley's. So thanks to those who made my choice easy. I will get the bedeviling Sugar Barrel, somday...

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Hate to reply to my own OP, but who nailed the Larsen 2013? Couldn't leave one?
Those Larsens, if they were 100 gms, were total bargains. I am awaiting my third order with Pipestud, so I can say that I am a happy repeater.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I'm not sure whose hoarding up all of Pipestuds tobaccos. Some say its the asians. I say it's a few american rich and snotty hoarders...which one I've known from another forum and he boldly stated he likes to buy up all the popular ones.
I pretty much gave up on trying to get anything from Pipestuds site...it kinda sucks as I don't mind paying a higher price for aged or discontinued blends but it seems they are sold out the instant they are posted.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've gotten a few things from him, but rarities are rarities. Someone with the means, and desire is going to buy it all to fill their collection. No reason to begrudge them. I've gotten sideways looks because I buy ten to twenty tins of blends I like per order. They are there, and when able, I'm going to buy all I can. I've had too many favorites vanish, and am stocking up for future use.

We have a member of our pipe club who will pool people's money to buy up as much as he can from pipestud. He will then bring them to our meetings and distribute it among friends. I have no idea what is going to buy or how much, but it sure is nice to have someone like that as a friend.

I have tried many fantastic aged blends this way. The worst thing that I have ever tried was an aged tin of Country Doctor. It tasted like a Mixture 79 gone bad. However rancid it was, it was still cool to be able to try it, at least top have it as a benchmark for putrid. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
C.E., I also like to get my "vote" in. If a blend rocks, like C&D Burley Flake #1, then I want them to see that some crazy fellow bought up a ton of it like it was the best thing he ever found.
Cosmic, one of the most depressing things ever is finding out that some people in the past had horrible taste, too. Applies to literature, too, although I'm arsed for an example other than Orwell at this point.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Hmm, ...a few American Hoarders (and "his snobby friends) just what I thought. I think it's pretty selfish and greedy.
And to see other pipesmokers doing the dirty work makes it worse. So much for "brotherhood of pipesmokers." Go ahead buy it all up...and hell...Mister Pipestud doesn't seem to give a rats ass either. So he's to blame as well. Bunch of greedy pigs, shame on ya.

Well, you guys could do something similar to this also. But, I can't be involved, since I am on the mod team. It would have top be outside of PM administration, (unofficial) and all that. But, you guys could all pool together and buy something to share amongst yourselves. It all depends on how much "trying" something would be worth to you. Would you be willing to spend $20 to try a 50 year old blend? $20 for a couple of bowls, verses $1000 for a shot in the dark?
I wouldn't blame Pipestud. He is merely trying to get the best price for his customers, the ones who want to sell something. And, then he makes it available for those who have the means to pay the most. Auctions work that way. You never know... it could be some little old man on fixed income retirement, that saved up for years to buy some aged version of something he used to enjoy 60+ years ago. Maybe, maybe not.

But, yeh, auctions frustrate me. I have lost every pipe that I have bid on with Pipestud, except one. But, I can't blame him. He's just doing what people want him to do.., except us losers. :puffy:

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I thought Mr Pipestud had better business ethics but I was wrong.
And no thanks Cosmic, I don't want to play those childish games of pooling together and scarfing up all the goods.
And I blame you guys AND Pipestud. Why do you think retailers put limits of purchases for certain blends ? To stop what you clowns are doing. At least the B&M's make an attempt to stop what you hoarders do, but Pipestud doesn't care.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Yeah when you run out of ideas and logic you resort to funny childish antics. "ha ha"
But back to the discussion, call it what you will. You're being greedy, bottom line. You have one hawk monitoring the site 24/7 and collecting the money from others and then buy all of it up. Scarfing.
It wouldn't surprise me if Mr Pipestud's doing dirty work under the tables and selling it before it's posted. Then he just throws it on the site but it's already spoken for. Slick work.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Kirkland, yes blame greedy people for your inability to understand how markets work. I guess it's okay for you to call names and impune someone's integrity though. Get a grip, it's tobacco and pipes for heavens sake.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
No, Cosmo, you're just re-directing the conversation because I'm correctly pointing out the silly games that you, your friends and pipestud are playing.
I'm just glad the cats out of the bag as I won't bother dealing with Mr. Steve Fallons website anymore. And I'll let other pipe smokers know whats going down as well. The truth is always a good thing to share. Thanks.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
When a retailer puts a limit on how many rare and discontinued tins they will sell, it's too use the rarities to boost orders, not to police supposedly "greedy" purchasers.

Some folks just need to get used to the fact that it's a competitive world out there.

You snooze, you lose ...

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Kirkland, oh please, you're either too self important or mistakingly believe you can white knight the tobacco resale industry. Either way, good luck. For the record, I've purchase two tins from Pipestud and was very pleased with the transaction, but it's a pay for play system, so you either pay or bitch and moan. Obviously you've got the second down pat. Like I said and wil keep saying, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.