PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Remember the newsgroup days? Bear, Frenchy, Firedancer ... anyone else been around since those days?
Don

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are a few of us here who were on pipes.org. After the owner made a dog's breakfast of updating the site, the forum there was effectively destroyed. I liked the members, though one of the moderators was arrogant, incompetent and a complete waste of space.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I was on pipes.org. I remember the brouha when BigBobBurley was posting pics of his Bo Nordh, that it turned out he didn't own. Ian and Melvin hated that guy. Melvin had all the Dunhills and only or mostly only smoked Penzance...and it was pretty readily available back then, too.
I mainly remember Frenchy from ASP.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Yes, alt smokers pipes, that's it!

I remember when Fire Dancer Flake and Frenchy's Sunsabitches were in development, seeing something today brought all that back. That is how I got started with pipes, the regulars would send out care packages to newbies with pipes, tobacco... fond memories.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Website is still online, but, to paraphrase a line from an episode of the Simpsons, it seems to be nothing but the land of wind and ghosts.
Yeah, and even before the site upgrade screwed that forum, it was not doing all that well. The wait for an approval before your post could appear had a deadening effect. Its assassination by site upgrade propelled me to look further, and so I landed on these sunny shores, as well as others. It's been pretty much dead over there for over 5 years now. Frankly, I'm surprised that the site is still running. But there's a treasure trove of information in that archive.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah, the format was unfriendly at best, the management surly, so it could only go so far, and once "proper" social media got going, dinosaur platforms like that simply died out because there was much better available. There are still many pipe or pipe/cigar only forums around, and of course a million groups on facebook, plus instagram and twitter and whatever else.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
pipes.org was my first forum.Spent several years on asp before it got trashed up and everyone left.Moved on to other more well run forums.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
ASP was great, if your willing to dig, there is a lot of good info in there.

mrhhw

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
I was in alt.smokers.pipes for years, with nick name madcyber or sth cannot remember.

What're you smoking... :)

Reactions: Elric

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I was a member of pipes.org and didn't really feel comfortable. Melvin ran the forum like a Marine drill sgt and that didn't set well with me. I moved on to better forums.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
DIdn't Frenchy have his own newsletter back 12 years ago or so? I remember getting updates in my inbox fairly regularly from him. I used to order a pipe here and there from him, and chatted a few times on Pipes.org, but never really got into it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was a member of pipes.org and didn't really feel comfortable. Melvin ran the forum like a Marine drill sgt and that didn't set well with me. I moved on to better forums.
You're being a bit polite. He was a major contributing factor to why that forum died so easily. One of the things I appreciate about this forum is the manner in which it is moderated.

Reactions: eddiegrob
Status
Not open for further replies.