PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I’m familiar with how tobacco smoking was introduced into Europe via New World voyages of exploration. I hadn’t investigated the history of tobacco use among native Americans (North and South). I came across the following article recently and found it fascinating-
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/americans-have-been-lighting-more-3000-years-ancient-pipe-reveals

Someone had once posted an article about jars of tobacco being found in Egyptian tombs. There was no evidence that the Egyptians smoked it, but it confirmed that tobacco cultivation was wider spread than previously thought, whether used as medicine or for some other use. Tobacco was probably wider spread in the wild as a weed, but it’s use was more than likely avoided, because of its poisonous properties.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Small dose toxins are what most medications are , emphasize small , because if the body reacts to produce natural antitoxins and antibodies , then you will feel better .
I think Tobacco may take out parasites like giardia in the gut .
But I’m not a doctor , I just play one on tv.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting! This is a limestone bowl. Too bad they didn't know how to make pipes from maize! (Or maybe they did!)
internal%20tob.png

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I’m guessing someone , long ago , tossed dried tobacco on the fire and said , hmmmm , that smells goooood ..

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Wow! That is quite interesting. I love how the increase in technology is being used to delve deep into human's past. Seems like a good use to me, if for nothing else but to increase our knowledge of the past. This might lead to an increase in knowledge into the present. Now when someone asks why I smoke tobacco, I can say I'm just celebrating what people on this continent have been doing for thousands of years.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Someone had once posted an article about jars of tobacco being found in Egyptian tombs.
This raises an interesting question...I'm wondering how many here might be planning on having their cellars buried with them when they pass over to the great beyond?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Too bad they didn't know how to make pipes from maize!
That far back was prior to the selective cultivation of larger ears. Back then an ear of corn was only an inch or two long.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
This raises an interesting question...I'm wondering how many here might be planning on having their cellars buried with them when they pass over to the great beyond?
I think it would be better to have yourself stuffed with it and cremated. Image the surprise of the attendant "Wow that guy burned into a fine white ash, and it smells like ketchup and vanilla"

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think it would be better to have yourself stuffed with it and cremated. Image the surprise of the attendant "Wow that guy burned into a fine white ash, and it smells like ketchup and vanilla"
It would be funnier to eat a jar of unpopped popcorn right before passing and then let them cremate the body. :rofl:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
"Wow that guy burned into a fine white ash, and it smells like ketchup and vanilla"
I'd want to be stuffed with Latakia only to make a more memorable impression.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I was on the fence about being cremated but that popcorn trick sealed the deal... very funny..

Status
Not open for further replies.