Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipesmagazine.com Forum is Just Plain Fun!

(48 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by pipestud
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Howdy Gang,

I absolutely love Internet pipe forums and especially pipesmagzine.com - by far, the best on the Internet (IMO). I joined my first one back in 1999 with the old ASP forum (you are dating yourself if you remember that one), and have been going strong ever since. It is a great way to connect with fellow pipe and tobacco enthusiasts, especially if you live in an area where there is little opportunity to become a member of a local pipe club.

While many forums have come and gone over the years, the ones that seem to stick around the longest are the ones that are moderated to the point where if some clown continues to post “thread killers,” he or she finally gets the boot. Nobody likes reading posts from people who are so miserable with their own lives that they feel the only way that they can justify themselves is to be negative and try to shoot down everyone else’s reputation or thoughts. What they don’t understand is that the majority of the members are rolling their eyes and thanking their lucky stars that those “trolls” are not actually members of their own pipe club… or worse, their own family!

So, for whatever it is worth, outside of the majority of the normal people who are members of Internet forums, here are the kinds of people I have found to be most annoying – and sometimes, frankly, most amusing:

THE GENIUS!

This is the guy who runs to every thread he can find on a forum that begins with a question. He has the perfect answer for every question asked and is wont to write long and boring responses that would quickly put an insomniac to sleep. And, of course, his answer is always right and anyone who disagrees is always wrong. My advice, don’t even waste your time challenging this guy. His reasoning may be – and usually is – so far out in left field that you won’t see it even with a pair of high powered binoculars.

THE KNOW IT ALL!

Similar to the genius, but this person will Google search just about any question asked on a forum and repeat just about anything he has read on the subject and claim it as his own. Most of these forum members are very specific about what their area of expertise is and get particularly puffed up when you praise them for their vast knowledge of pipes and tobaccos – never mind that they’ve been in the hobby for less than a year, have never been to a pipe club meeting or a pipe show, and wouldn’t know an S. Bang from a Dr. Grabow if you put one of each brand in front of them and asked them to tell you which was which.

The Liar!

One of the funniest movies that I have ever watched was Liar Liar, staring Jim Carrey. If I could wave a magic wand that made a habitual Internet pipe forum liar tell the truth for one day, I can assure you that I would lose a day’s work reading that person’s posts. Hey, they have the shield of anonymity and can make up anything they want. I’ll never forget a guy on one pipe and tobacco forum who started a thread on Veteran’s day supposedly to salute all veterans. He then went on to say that as a former Medal of Honor winner himself, he wanted all of us to know how important it is for Veterans to know that their service to our country was appreciated. He was certainly right about the latter, but as we later found out, the guy never spent a day of his life in the military. Another forum member had posted a link to an official government website that listed all Medal of Honor winners and asked the guy why his name wasn’t on the list. We never heard from that guy again. Go figure.

The Showoff!

I think we’ve all met the showoff. You know, the guy who is constantly bragging about his pipe collection of 50 Bo Nordh pipes or 10,000 pounds of old Balkan Sobranie pipe tobacco. I know members of several forums who truly help others enjoy the hobby by showing pictures of expensive pipes that they have purchased and perhaps giving us a little history about them. But, the true showoff can be spotted quickly. He’s the one who readily tells you how much he paid for a particular expensive pipe or expensive tin of old tobacco but adds no value to his supposed purchases. He just wants to, well, show off.

The Joker!

We’ve all met this guy. He’s the one who jumps into every thread to say something brilliantly funny whether what he is saying has anything to do with the subject of the thread or not. He just wants to show everyone how clever he is. The sad thing is that the only person he’s amusing is himself. Unfortunately, this guy is somewhat dangerous because he often sucks in another like minded individual and while the two of them are busy trying to out funny each other, what otherwise had been an informative and fun thread has been taken off topic and dies a quick death.

The Post Racer!

Those of you who enjoy being a member of a pipe & tobacco forum sure know the post racer. He posts at least once on every thread that has been started on the forum by other people. Because most forums keep a public track of post counts, the post racer wants to be at the top of the list and thinks that his high post count means he’ll get more respect. He never has anything positive to contribute but that doesn’t stop him. Example; someone starts a thread by asking for information about Castello pipes and how they smoke. Our post racer immediately jumps in and says, “I can’t answer that question because I’ve never owned or smoked a Castello pipe.” Gee, thanks for that insight!

The Troll!

Trolls actually amuse me. They are also very predictable. If you see someone with an out of the ordinary, off the wall avatar, and has a goofy handle (forum term for their name (i.e. my handle is Pipestud, and yes, that’s a little goofy), then that may be a troll. I think trolls are probably people who are living less than happy lives, have low self esteem and in some warped way, think that by attempting to put down someone else they are elevating themselves. If you are a member of a forum and have a troll after you, just ignore him. I’ve been on Internet P&T forums for a lot of years, and trust me, these trolls eventually get banned or just go away. That’s supposed to be a good thing, but honestly, forums are more fun to participate in when you keep at least one troll on board. It’s sort of like having a pet skunk that’s had it’s stink glands removed; harmless, and at times amusing.

Happy Puffing!

Steve

Pipestud
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't help it if I'm a GENIUS, Steve, don't be a hater!

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No worries, sasquatch. I'm a Troll, for sure.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love this thread, it should be posted in the sticky section for everyone to see. I’m sure I’ve probably been one or two of those categories at some point.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mr. Stud, I have really enjoyed reading and learning from you since I started pipe smoking. You always seem like a true gentleman.

I love this thread, it should be posted in the sticky section for everyone to see. I’m sure I’ve probably been one or two of those categories at some point.

Ha! I had the same pangs of guilt when reading parts of it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

Great post! I agree that this should be posted so everyone sees it! Very entertaining!

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Love this.

Non Serviam
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Great post Steve. Is this new or a reprint? I only ask because I remember a thread very much along the same lines a few years ago that led to a great discussion among the members.

Of course, I'm way too evolved to be any of the above. Well, except maybe the joker. There must have been a Brit in the bedroom a few generations back because I have an innate, lateral thinking, love for wordplay and will occasionally exercise it here. I also feel totally unapologetic about it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where's the serial ass kisser?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Post Racer is my personal pet peeve. These guys will literally start posts with "I don't know any thing about this subject but .....". There's also the Hijacker who will turn every thread that he's in to a subject he wants to talk about.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread Steve. I am not sure which category if any that I fit in. You might want to have another category for people like me. Humble, freakishly funny, always looking to help the newbie. A treasure trove of knowledge, that boggles the minds of giants like Jesse and George D.

I know the category I am looking for.....The Perfect Poster. Yup that is me, no doubt about it.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread Steve. I am not sure which category if any that I fit in. You might want to have another category for people like me. Humble, freakishly funny, always looking to help the newbie. A treasure trove of knowledge, that boggles the minds of giants like Jesse and George D.

I know the category I am looking for.....The Perfect Poster. Yup that is me, no doubt about it.-cigrmaster

You are indeed perfect in what you're good at, Harris. But, being the "Perfect Poster" ain't exactly what I was thinking.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great post Steve. Is this new or a reprint? I only ask because I remember a thread very much along the same lines a few years ago that led to a great discussion among the members.-sablebrush52

No sir, Jesse, for once I can plead not guilty.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

Me? 100% unabashed Showoff.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Do you remember Random on ASP? That fellow was every listed category. Truly one of a kind.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a lot of truth in this thread. But I do think we all can be accused of being most of these occasionally.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread. This forum is the only forum I'm part of. I'm not on any other social media...Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. This is it.

I don't want to be "that guy". I'll certainly think before I post in the future.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

Oh jeez, I think I've been almost every one of these at some point in my illustrious posting career. Maybe not the liar and racer. Definitely some regrets too, especially since the posts never go away. Do people really feel annoyed with the joker and that they only amuse themselves? Don't people enjoy comic relief?
    Well thanks Pipestud for this thread, hopefully the right eyeballs will find it. And while I'm here I'd like to add that I always enjoy looking for your reviews. Pretty much all your 3 and 4 star blends wind up being favs of mine.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

I guess that was the kiss up. lol
    Lately I find with threads the wisest thing I can say is nothing. Except here that is..

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steve if I am not the perfect poster, then what am I? How about the finest pipe smoker known to man? Or is that a tad over the top? How about the master of flakes that have no red virginia's in them? I could be that.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. dino

dino

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry Steve, I kinda nodded off somewhere during the third paragraph.
    However, that was the perfect palate-cleansing sorbet we all needed after the some of the clap-trap of the past week.
    You succinctly nailed down the negatives and the wonderful positives of this forum. Bravo!
    (And, no, Ash, I'm not being a serial ass-kisser. At least not the serial part.)

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the comments, gents. I did have fun with that post and originally posted it on my website a few months ago. You guys are coming up with some great new ones that I never thought about, too! Loved the "Serial ass-kisser," although I don't recall any of those being on this forum! I should have added "The Old Farts" to the list now that I read where cigrmaster is hoping I can find a proper category for him. Maybe he fits into two categories as "Self Aggrandizing" also comes to mind. (-;

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steve, yup, that's my rotation, and just look at my number of posts.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy Smackers! Almost 26,000 posts in about 6-1/2 years! MSO, I think you might be leading this group. If my math is correct, you've been posting at approximately a clip of 81 posts a week (11 a day), for the last 6-1/2 years. My fingers got tired just thinking about that. I better get to work, I joined a couple of months before you did and am still 24,189 posts behind you!

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always remind my fellow members that on curvy mountain roads on a clear day, I can catch just a glimpse of jiminks' taillights glimmering far out in the distance ahead.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MSO: I just smoke more than you do.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Jim, you are not mortal! I hope to someday be able to say I tried 1/4 as many blends as you have.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 1 month ago #
  28. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I have been all of the above at some point I'm sure. Sorry.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  29. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been all of the above at some point I'm sure. Sorry.-alaskanpiper

Don't apologize, alaskanpiper. I still am all of the above and proud of it. I love annoying myself. (-;

MSO: I just smoke more than you do.-jiminks

Holy Smackers again X 2 !!! I just saw Jim's post count. Incredible! But Jim, I'm sure you smoke more pipe tobacco than all states in the USA and most other countries combined on a daily basis. So, no surprise there.

Pipestud

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipestud you forgot about the raving foreign lunatic posters in the mold of Haja with their unusual obsessions with Red Sea mud and disposable lighters! As for JimInks I have heard that since he has tested every blend on planet earth he will soon be the Galactic Ambassador for Inter Planetary Pipe Smoking!

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipestud you forgot about the raving foreign lunatic posters in the mold of Haja with their unusual obsessions with Red Sea mud and disposable lighters! As for JimInks I have heard that since he has tested every blend on planet earth he will soon be the Galactic Ambassador for Inter Planetary Pipe Smoking!-condorlover1

Well, Jim'll have his work cut out for him trying to explain our world's current smoking laws. That'll no doubt put Area 51 out of business quickly. No more visitors.

Pipestud

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[hangs head in shame]

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An undisclosed location at Area 51 is where my cellar is. The interplanetary aliens fiercely guard the tobacco vaults, and when our trusty Saint Bernard is sober, he paw delivers the appropriate tobaccos to me.

They say an FDA man came to visit, but all we heard was a squish under the feet of our trained Martian rhinos.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Forums are pretty darn predictable, be it pipes, cars, motorcycles, watches, etc., all have very similar threads running thru them.

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee, thanks pipestud. I knew somebody would notice me eventually.

Tim
    Posted 1 month ago #
  36. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And these categories, or classifications, of posters seem to be universal for internet boards. I see the same trends on fly fishing and watch collecting boards as well.

Neal
    Posted 1 month ago #
  37. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A glaring omission, at least regarding these PM Forums...

The PIRATE(S).
    No explanation needed here, though sometimes confused with, or engaging in, the HIJACK(ER).

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 month ago #
  38. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was getting ready to open this thread and have to close it right away just based off the title. Guess it's just been one of those weeks. And then I saw who posted it

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  39. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whew! Once again I dodged (by a whisker), getting tossed outta here. Thanks for showing some mercy, didimauw!

Pipestud

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I have it right, jiminks work is doing the art for superhero comics (and other comics), and in the process, he has become a superhero in the pipe world. No one comes close. It was caused by being bitten by a radioactive spider that landed on an asteroid in his crib, and imbued him with pipe smoking powers attained only by extraterrestrials.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I'm all of those people. Does self awareness mitigate or magnify the transgressions?

Except the liar, I hope. Just an Exagerator.

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Guilty as charged

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MSO: when I wear glasses, you can't recognize me, either.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I have it right, jiminks work is doing the art for superhero comics (and other comics), and in the process, he has become a superhero in the pipe world. No one comes close. It was caused by being bitten by a radioactive spider that landed on an asteroid in his crib, and imbued him with pipe smoking powers attained only by extraterrestrials.

Maybe he was bitten by a radioactive tobacco beetle?

Wikipedia - Tobacco Beetle

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's kinda weird how much Jim looks like Edward G. Robinson, ain't it?

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sure I have a bit of a few of those descriptions in me... but ya'll haven't kicked me out of here yet, so I must be doing something right! But speaking of "The Know It All," they are even more prominent on the Facebook pipe groups.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  48. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Capn' I'm afraid I'm a bit of everything !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bluegrassbrian, yaboofive, bnichols23, jeff540, jchaplick, k9shag, aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts