PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Good evening all! I noticed today that pipesandcigars is now running a special on their three pipe grab bag. It is normally listed at $60 but the price has been reduced to $40, for what I can assume are three 'basket' pipes. I wanted to check on here to hopefully receive some feedback from those of you who have experience with the three pipe deal. Have you had any luck with this? Did you get any good smokers out of the deal? I understand the quality isn't going to be top notch, but for those newer to the hobby this may give them an opportunity to add a few briars to potentially small collections at a decent price. Thoughts?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you'd do better with one pipe for $40 or $60 than for three at either price. For $40 or a little less,

you could get a Dr. Grabow Royalton, an unstamped Butz-Chocum Walnut stained briar at Cup O Joes, or

a Iwan Ries Exclusive, any one of which would be a good durable pipe that will last a lifetime. The grab bag

pipes might be pretty good, or they might not, but I'd go with a known entity. I think you'd be happier

choosing your brand and shape. Also look at Chapuis-Comoy at tobaccopipes.com, surprisingly good

quality pipes for a song, and shipping for $4.99.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I know your looking for folks with experience on the 3 pipe deal, but I don't like not being able to see what I'm buying. Hopefully someone that has tried it can offer up their thoughts.
I whole heartedly second the Iwan Ries idea. They also carry some natural Savs in that price range (may not be on the website). I picked one up about 2 years ago and it's one of my favorite pipes. Ugly as sin, but it smokes fantastic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jah76, I think the unfinished Sav's finish themselves beautifully. Maybe two years isn't quite long enough. Like kids,

they do go through an awkward period in their youth sometimes. But eventually, they turn an even, golden brown,

and if you buff them up with a rag, they glow. Or maybe I'm delusional, but it seems that way to me. I have a billiard

and a zulu 404 that are over 30 years old (bought unfinished) and I just bought a panel billiard. Also I have a Cassano

briar Calabash shape that is going through the awkward period you describe, at about three years old, but getting better.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for the responses everyone! I was curious about this because I thought it might be a good opportunity to expand my collection of briars (I currently have 5 briars and 3 cobs) and perhaps even gift one to a friend who has expressed interest in pipe smoking.
On a side note, I have recently been considering pulling the trigger on a savinelli unfinished (natural). I have a nording natural billiard and I love how it has gradually evolved in color over

The last two years. Perhaps it's time to add another :)

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If you want to increase your rotation an a budget, I say jump on the deal.
How do you know you will not get three great smoking pipes?
Even if only one is great, and the other two are mediocre, will "you" really know? If not, jump on the deal.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I made the mistake of ordering P&C's "3 filter pipes for $59" several months ago. I let them know what they sent me was cr*p and sent them back. Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.