PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
First i want to say that i respect that site and i like it very much they have good prices and reviews, but I'm new and want to start pipe smoking and today i was going to buy pipe (stanwell brushed black pipes 83, cleaner and tobacol) BUT when i visited their facebook page even first 20 costumer review was about that they were dissapointed because pipes didnt get for a long time. tobacoo was dry etc. I will be glad if you tell me something about that what time does it take to get my pipe if i order it tommorow or what can be better way where can i buy it with 100% guarantee?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Of late, my orders have shipped out of the P&C warehouse in under one business day. How long it takes for the post office or UPS to actually deliver the package to you is out of their control. But be aware that P&C has free shipping for orders over $49, but that shipping is the lowest cost/slowest option. P&C will always give you other shipping options you can pay for that will get your order to you faster.
As for dried out tobacco, I have never received desiccated tobacco from P&C. Their entire warehouse is a humidor. Dry tobacco just isn't going to happen there, unless they receive it already dried out.
Should you have a problem with your order, though, call P&C. Don't just complain about it here, go speak to someone there who can actually help you.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
As Dan stated, company delivering the box you order is different from P&C. They use UPS. UPS is responsible for everything that happens after, "Order has shipped." If you are concerned about shipping, don't be cheap and pay for a different shipping method that eases your mind.
I find it troubling and a bit sad that there exists a culture among pipe smokers where it is in vogue to whine about P&C. Not aiming that barb at you, huston, just commenting on the comments you commented on.
When I read posts calling into question P&C, I want to just form a canned answer that gets posted on each one. It would be a variation of this (this one includes phrasing to incorporate it with the 1st paragraph; other posts would get a different intro):
I will say, though, that it does explain the tendency for people to come here and post random potentially negative things about the site without doing any form of critical thinking which invariably leads to someone else to come on here and promote another site or sites. It is almost like a small group is doing this on purpose for marketing/advertising purposes.
Some of this, I know, is because of the system debacle and some is due to previous packing quality. Both of those items have been addressed, and yet here we are... on post number 87(exaggeration for effect) questioning a site sponsor.
Again, not aiming vitriol at the OP, just stating that this group says a lot about how long they've been smoking, how seemingly mature we are, how urbane and dignified we are to smoke the pipe. Then act like it. Where P&C is concerned, many on here behave like peeved teenage girls. The mean cheerleadery ones who talk out the side of their necks when upset.
Russ alone doesn't deserve it, nor is this the venue to place your keyboard diatribes, since they are a prominent site sponsor.
I think that will be the basis for my canned message going on all future P&C posts.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
My first order ever was from Pipes & Cigars. Never had a problem with dried tobacco or shipping. Even with the lowest shipping option it usually takes 4 or 5 days for me to get the package, and I'm in Puerto Rico.

Anyone's experience is anecdotal, of course, but I don't believe you should have any problems. Like anything, go for it and if you don't like the experience, there are other vendors. Not many people limit themselves to just one vendor, and P&C have one helluva asset in Russ Ouellette.

Welcome to the community. This place is a great source of info for begginers.

harveymushman

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
I find it troubling and a bit sad that there exists a culture among pipe smokers where it is in vogue to put down other pipesmokers for expressing opinions or sharing experiences with bad vendors. EVERY time there is a thread where someone tries to share an opinion theres a "culture" (I despise that word popularized by social media) that always tries to defend Pipes and Cigars when someone has one or several bad experiences. Its similar and just as troubling when you see some new guy posting about how he wants to try Stonehaven or Penzance. Theres ALWAYS some salty dog that drops in to say something like "why would you want to try that crappy tobacco?!". Its a bummer, and theres one member here who does it every time. And ive only been lurking here since the summer.
Pipes and Cigars is a huge company and has made many mistakes as reported by users here and elsewhere and probably will continue to do so with regards to some orders, others will have no problems. Im 50/50 myself with good and poor service from Pipes and Cigars and somewhat indifferent at this point. I wonder why you dont ever see multiple threads where, say, smokingpipes.com gets bashed repeatedly? They are equally as big a vendor. Hmmmm...Food for thought!
Finally to answer the original poster's question - P and C ships with UPS mostly I think. Which means how soon you get your box is determined by what state you are in. I live in Nevada and it takes UPS a week to get boxes to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My biggest complaint about P&C was their packaging. Seems they have that straightened out, and is right as rain.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pipes and Cigars is a huge company
Really?
I suppose I'm considered part of that "culture." I usually wonder why the carper doesn't take the complaint to the vendor. What possible interest, other than the enjoyment of another persons' discomfort angst, would I have in reading the complaint or rant.
I'm always left wondering how the poster handles other problems in their life. Social media? Life's wee vicissitudes and how they are handled say a lot about a person's problem solving abilities.
I suspect, perhaps wrongly, "hidden agenda" when a brand, spanking, new member posts a vendor complaint. Possibly I'm too cynical. I doubt it. Too many occurrences of such.

Jan 8, 2013
Pipesandcigars went through a very rough patch there for a while, due to new software that went haywire and really threw them a curve ball. It seems that for the most part they've gotten that issue under control. The other main complaint people had with P&C was their packing. It could sometimes be... less than par. But the problem has been addressed and it seems fixed. My last order from them was packed quite well, and others here have posted the same.
I admit that for a while I didn't order from P&C because there were just too many horror stories. But I was also convinced they were trying to get things fixed, and once the complaints died down enough I was happy to order from them again and will continue to do so in the future.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Then there was the IPSD debacle. Seems they've gotten a lot sorted out. Still never got reimbursed for the double charge for my ISPD order, but all else seems well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I'll relate that the semi-literate posts always set off a warning in my mind as so many of the complainers show a similar disregard of grammar rules and the posters seem to have a very short "shelf life." Still, they do provide amusement.
It's as though there is an effort to keep kicking Pipes and Cigars after they have cleaned up most of the mess, have measurably improved performance while maintaining a presence here to check the pulse of the customer base. Many of us are aware that there is a "counter culture" which loves to visit different sites and post fictitious problems and complaints. I just see that in many, not all, of the Pipes and Cigar complaints. Someone joins up, drops a bomb and then disappears.
It would be interesting if Russ was to chime in with an estimate of how many complaints come from readily identifiable customers. The anonymity of this site probably precludes such.

Jan 8, 2013
I just see that in many, not all, of the Pipes and Cigar complaints. Someone joins up, drops a bomb and then disappears.
Facebook posters I think, is who most of those are. They lurk here but never post and then see something negative about P&C and can't help themselves. There's definitely an anti P&C culture among many on Facebook.

harveymushman

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
Pipes and Cigars is a huge company

Really?
At least 500+ employees...Id call that pretty big.
Still never got reimbursed for the double charge for my ISPD order,
Thats a drag!
I admit that for a while I didn't order from P&C because there were just too many horror stories
Seems to be the consensus, and not just from new guys, but long time guys like chasingembers issue above. But its also nice to see they have listened and Russ has tried to help where he can. I doubt thats in his job description! Anyway...what happened to the OP?!

huston

Lurker
Dec 11, 2017
Most of you thinks incorrect and it's not good or polite. I told you that i'm not doing some anticomercial. I wrote there that i like that site but told you TELL ME ABOUT THAT means tell me hou to avoid shipping problems. I dont know your terminology "culture" or something but I wanted to listen yoir opinions to realize what to do to avoid shiping prpblems not to argue that I'm doing some unticomercial
WHATS MORE, I LIVE VERY FAR FROM AMERICA (IN THE ENOTHER PART OF THE EARTH)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Well it's not a mom and pop but, 500 employees certainly isn't "huge" in my mind. I suppose it's a matter of perspective.
I don't order from P and C but a couple of times a year. Over the years I've never experienced a problem. If a blend is out of stock, I simply order from another vendor. And, I never, ever order a pipe via mail order. If there was a brick and mortar in my area I wouldn't buy blends online either.
If I get shafted by a mail-order firm and I can't resolve it, I take it as a lesson learned. I've no interest in airing my complaint in public. It's simply my way. I can't conceive that anyone would be interested in my woes and I don't do "misery loves company."

Jan 8, 2013
Huston, I think you misunderstand us. I don't think anyone was saying you were doing that. We're just talking about how there are those out there that do. Sorry for the misunderstanding. We tend to veer off course in a topic like this one sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.