PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Do you have some pipes you bought just to have a representational example in your collection and don't plan to buy more? For me that was 3: a churchwarden, a pipe with bamboo shank extension, and a meer. Though, as for the meer, if I could afford a large finely carved figural meer, I'd be tempted to add more meers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think of any of my pipes as place holders that are just there to fill a category. I don't think that's what you're saying, but just to clarify what I'm saying. But some pipes I like very much and that fill a role, I don't need in duplicates. My one Oom-Paul/Hungarian shape, which is a Sav Hercules, is a wonderful big-bowled pipe that hangs seemingly weightless, but I don't think I need two. I have a small-bowled EWA churchwarden that I'm glad to have, but I don't need two. And only one of my Petersons has a P-lip, and one is enough, though I enjoy my Killarney 999 Rhodesian. So it is more a case of my only needing one of many particular pipes. I have one straight churchwarden that is good, but I don't need more. And so on. If you love variety, with most pipes, you don't need multiples. I do have two Pete brandy B11's, a Shannon and a Killarney ebony, and two Stanwell 32 bulldogs, a matte and a smooth, so sometimes a pipe is so nice, you buy it twice.

May 4, 2015
I got a Wizard Cobbit bowl in a 2nds grab bag a couple years back. Marilyn at Missouri Meerschaum was kind enough to sell me a stem for it before that was a thing they offered. It's the only churchwarden I ever have intentions of owning.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I don't plan on ever buying another cob. I have two. The MM Dagner Poker (was a gift) and a MM Legend. I'm not totally against them...I just never reach for one to smoke. I always grab a briar.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Kinda yeah, though seems silly now. A Jirsa Churchwarden that smoked wetter and hoter than brylon. An estate calabash gourd or three. A falcon, a Viking, comrade, Kirsten. Macarthur cob. Clay tavern pipe. Meers yes but not to fill a place, I'd like to have as many meers as briars but that's hard to to do nicely. Exoensive that is. Umm ik there's more. Kiseru. Yet to get a briar or cob cigar but those are on my list. A meer lined leather wrapped Kiko pipe. I'd say I'm largely done with these novelties and exravagencies and concentrating on tobacco variety more. I used to want every kind of tamper and lighter etc. But now I just like to keep it simple and enjoy it more in a less materialistic way..

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I would say yes. I have a "Oom Paul Freehand" by Walt 21 I don't think I'd find another that appeals to me like it does. Probably never get another. I also have one bamboo shanked pipe by Elena Dorenshenko, only one I have.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
This would be hard for me to answer, as I don't really own too many currently, and my wanted list continues to grow with each and every passing day. I always said I only wanted one meerschaum, but having laid claim to my first, I want more. If we're talking one of a particular brand, I might have to say a very expensive and unique Ardor Urano, just because I love the colors they sometimes use in their stem work. Maybe a representation of a German style hunters pipe would be cool to have. I would definitely only want one of those, since it wouldn't likely sit in my rotation, but it would be a smoke-able conversation piece that I'd smoke once in a while, but mostly love to look at.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I can think of 2, the first is the Oom Paul and the second a Hawkbill. Both of these pipes run on the large size and I really do t go over group 4 keeping my pipes at group 3 and smaller. I am happy to say I eventually found one of each in miniature compared to the norm for each, both smoke brilliantly and happy to have 1 of each.

banjo

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
eggrollpiper, interesting you say a kiseru. Though I've never smoked anything in it. I own one that belonged to my great-uncle which is probably near 100 years old. He had lived in southeast Asia and died there in WWII as a re-commissioned officer. He had a plantation. Think he actually smoked opium in his. :P

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Oh yeah i forgot about the German hunters pipe. I think they used to call them tyrolian among other things I had a few estate ones from eBay but never bit the bullet on a new one and now indont really see the new ones like I think mars used to have one or more.

Never got an oom Paul but came close several times, that one fell through the cracks I guess. Lastly the ones now I most want only one of are the yearly Vauen novelties. Especially the modern/old german And the twisty one. Oh duh, THE PIPE, just got the pyrolytic graphite pipe a few weeks ago but in really think I'm done now.. not done leaving endless posts just done collecting oddities.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Yeah it's a tsuge kiseru and actually, funny timing you have; just today arrived on a slow boat from China in my mailbox a little brass kiseru which I promptly washed with blue dawn and loaded up with a squished ball of cockstrong. Very nice if you enjoy a nice relaxing 5 second smoke.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Oom Paul

Churchwarden

Meerschaum
I have two of each and love them all, but I now realize I only need one each.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
All my briar pipes are of the one of each variety. Same for my cob pipes, except for the extra Rob Roy pipes I have.

For instance, I only need one straight bulldog, or one Lumberman, or Author, or bent pot. You get the picture. I really don’t have a favorite shape. I’ll use each shape from time to time depending on my mood and situation.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I stumbled into a "birth year" Dunhill a few months ago from mikelaw's site.
It's a small (group 2) poker. Smokes well, as long as you mind your cadence. I don't feel compelled to get another Dunhill.
My Tom Harris panel lovat morta checks the box for morta. Fun to smoke occasionally but I'll not actively seek any more.
I have a Big Ben Dublin churchwarden. It's beautiful but not practical for me. I probably won't need any more of those, either.
Besides a few cobs, the remainder of my stable are mid grade traditional shaped briars. I could happily smoke until the end of my days with what I have, but I imagine a few more will creep in anyway, over time.
The only pipe I'm actively seeking at this time is a specific profile of a squashed and lightly bent Rhodesian sort.
jay-roger.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I got one of those Savinelli Clarks early in my pipesmoking. It is merely the length of the pipe, not long enough to be a churchwarden and too long to clench. I have smoked it maybe 20 times in all of these years. I really would never buy another pipe like this.
I feel the same way about mine. I bought mine at the Chicago Pipe Show in May. I loved it at first...now I never reach for it...a bit too long.
It was my first "nice" pipe and I went for the way it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.