PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One way to get a Dunhill or other high-end pipe at a deep discount is to find an estate pipe with a replacement stem. But unless you can actually view the pipe in person, who knows what you get as the replacement? This could go all the way from a master pipe carver fitting the pipe with something as good as, or better than the original, to a stem wrested from the junk drawer that wasn't hand cut in the first place. Is there any point in considering pipes with replacement stems? Or is the buyer just buying half a pipe of the high grade brand advertised? I appreciate that any seller willing to point out the replacement stem is already exhibiting good ethical behavior, but how much of a chance is the buyer taking? And what kind of pipe is he likely to get?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Assuming you're buying it for its smoking value and not as an investment, I say, if the price is right go for it. Even if the replacement is of poor quality you can have it replaced and still end up with a high quality pipe at substantially below market price. And based on some of the things we've seen command huge money on Ebay lately a replacement stem might not be something that decreases value like it once did.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Many variables here, and yes, kudos to the honest and knowledgeable sellers that inform of the Dunhill pipe having a replacement stem.

With enough skill, one can take a preformed quality Vulcanite blank and morph it into a Dunny stem virtually identical to a factory one, even the tricky Fishtails from the 60s. Or use quality rod and more time shaping the stem and hand cutting the button and reach the same result.These are often almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

More often than not, the replacement stems are merely functional, i.e. a preform stem that fits the shank and has a white dot.

edit for clarification: you can usually spot a replacement Dunhill stem by looking at the button and tenon (if the seller has posted pics of the pipe with the stem off). If I was going to take the time to acquire one with a funky replacement, I would pay at least $100 less than what a "healthy" one would cost me, as long as the bowl is in unmolested condition

Status
Not open for further replies.