PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalidor

Lurker
Mar 2, 2016
I apologize in advance for that terrible description. While I have smoked pipes on/off for the past ~15 years, I am finally trying to dive full into the hobby. I want to collect a small, varied collection of 'beginner' pipes and have my eye on some well reviewed Mr. Brogs.
I notice some have a metal screen or cap that flips over on top of the bowl.
What is that for?

Should I consider these?
Thank you in advance for any assistance.
All the best!

J

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
They are wind caps. Helps controls the burn and prevents too much wind from stoking the fire.

kalidor

Lurker
Mar 2, 2016
Ahh. Got it.
So, for a mostly indoor smoker, not all that necessary. Or even preferred.
Thank you!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum!
For windy conditions you can put a cap on any pipe, but having one permanently is a p.i.a. I'd avoid.

kalidor

Lurker
Mar 2, 2016
Follow up Q :
Now I am seeing one that appeals to me visually, but has a... screw on bowl??
I am unaware of these types.

Are they quality?
Here is the specific link, if allowed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTSTANDING-Mr-Brog-original-smoking-pipe-nr-75-teak-carved-CAPITAN-CROWN-/151478831409?hash=item2344d78931:g:wHMAAOSw--1WrOZx
If that's not allowed, my apologies, in advance. I will delete link if necessary.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
The link is fine, don't worry! Pipes with screw on bowls are fine, but I'd personally lean more to Falcon pipes as they have (as far as I know) a pretty good rep...

kalidor

Lurker
Mar 2, 2016
Hmm. I tend to lean traditional. More 'old school', you know? hehe
So, I think I would appreciate classic briars a bit more.

But thank you for the answers/advice!

kalidor

Lurker
Mar 2, 2016
@Cosmic No sir. I was wanting to merely learn about that pipe above. I was unaware of what the screen was for and if it would be something that would serve well. I am buying pipes, hehe, not selling. :)

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
"Only YOU can prevent forest fires." Smokey the Bear (pipe smoker, I mean why wouldn't he be!?)
A cap is/was important, not to protect the smoke or the smoker, but to control ash and embers from setting the world on fire.

(Not to be confused with a discussion of Esoterica tobacco blends.)
So. Somewhat on the opposite end of the spectrum from smoking your pipe in the inverted mode, smoking with a cap on your pipe has its origins outside, not inside.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/why-do-some-smoke-the-pipe-upsidedown
The history of wind caps and elegantly-capped smoking pipes extends back to outdoorsman -- amateur and professional.
My colleagues and friends who work in the desert southwest of North America -- the Sonoran and Mojave biomes of AZ, CA and Sonora MX -- have a hard and fast rule about the use of smoking pipe caps. The old guys out there would confront any young park ranger or field biologist whose pipe didn't have a wind screen or cap. Whether the pipe was lit, full, cold, empty, no matter. "Where's the cap." Never a question, but an interrogative. No cap/screen? Your pipe stays in the office today.
Law enforcement pipe smokers would note and confront tourists about whether they knew about the dangers their pipe smoking posed to the great natural beauty they were visiting, too.
One of the first and greatest collection of capped smoking pipes I ever saw was possessed by a park ranger at a national monument in the southwest US. His family and friends gifted this guy with wind screens and capped pipes from all over the world. His retirement gift, instead of a watch, was a top of the line capped Peterson.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great story, insights. Thank you! I guess I'd be reluctant to smoke in a dry forest or anywhere a flying ember could cause a conflagration or two.

Aug 14, 2012
Metal caps draw the heat up and result in a slightly cooler smoke. I got one to cover the pipe when I had gone out for a short smoke. Prevents a mess in your pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.