PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
I have seen a few pipes with silver caps and I find them very attractive. They seem to be an oddity but the thought seems functional. Makes me wonder why they are not more common...

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had a Peterson with a cap. It smoked great, but after I smoked about 3 bowls I found the cap to be a pain in the ass, so I gifted it away.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have couple I take out when it's windy. The poor things spend the great, calm, sunny days all alone in the house. I find the cap a pain in the ass when shooting as the raised cap gets between me and the camera. So, while useful in the wind, they become an impediment otherwise.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My one and only though I wish it didn't have the wind cap.
20190321_044716.jpg

If you must have one though, they do make removable ones.
wind screen.jpg

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
246418i.jpg

I have quite a few Peterson Hinged Lids. I love them. The caps make smoking in windy conditions easy. The lid can get a bit in the way, so I typically use them only in windy conditions. I think they look pretty boss, and Peterson does not make them anymore.
My holy grail pipe was the 408 in the middle at the bottom, it's unsmoked.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
They are gorgeous. The new owners advised me they will be offering them again. Most likely special order. I see one is prominently displayed on the Peterson web site once again. It's a matter of finding a good smith as I understand it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's the main use for them, as when the wind is over 15 knots they're useless for keeping the draft down enough so you don't burn through the tobacco too quickly, not to mention burning through the bowl.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
My Petes, with the solid cap, seem to handle "gale force" well enough. I also insure my hand is in place also. But, you're right, those sieve like caps, I use them also, can fire the cherry right up. So, in a real wind, shield the cap with your hand.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I use this one:

pipe_cap___26549.1470247492.JPG

In Iceland it is a standard to have windy weather, so a pipe cap like this is a must-have if you would like to smoke outside. This type is a very useful one, as I can use it from my smallest to the buggest pipes as well.It has spring-loaded tabs and it fits on any type of pipes. So I don't need to have some specialized wind-capped pipe, I can use any of them in the excellent Icelandic weather.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Thank you all for your comments and sharing photos. I should have been more clear. My terminology is off because I am new. I was referring to pipes with metal rim. Those seem under utilized but I haven’t owned one so I don’t know if it is a benefit or a burden.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
And here I thought this was about wearing a hat whilst smoking. Seriously, though, share a picture of what you mean. Do you mean like a Tsuge? If so, the metal rim cuts down on rim char, but to many just isn't as gorgeous as the natural wood. Just my guess as to why.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
In Iceland it is a standard to have windy weather, so a pipe cap like this is a must-have if you would like to smoke outside.
I live in Wyoming, I smoke outside exclusively, and I have never used a wind cap.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Ahhhh, I believe the OP is using the term "cap" in the way Peterson does, not the hinged lid. A sterling silver cap adds to the base price while not adding to the "smokability." So, they are a costly addition. In general, I like the look on the right shape though. I think the "lids" make for a nice "finished" look. Sterling fitted "military mounts" are in the same class for my eye.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, it is a fine group!
My Petes, with the solid cap, seem to handle "gale force" well enough. I also insure my hand is in place also. But, you're right, those sieve like caps, I use them also, can fire the cherry right up. So, in a real wind, shield the cap with your hand.
Right: Solid cap, good to Beaufort 10! My solid caps have ranged from a small piece of wood, to matchbook, to gloved hand when I lived in a windy area. Don't have a proper solid cap, but now don't need one. And I was referring only to the sieve type ones, like this:
wind%20screen.jpg

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I wanted a pipe with a wind cap to smoke outside when it is breezy but didn't want to invest much. So I bought a Mr. Brog pear wood pipe (gasp!) for $25 and it works just fine. Smokes good and I am not concerned that it is not prestigious. :)

mfFLDhb.jpg

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I've actually added a windcaps to two Petes, smallish pipes, a Tankard and a 313...the only pipes the caps would fit.
I bought 10 caps from a guy on ebay that sells clay pipes. He said the caps were not made anymore and I don't want to spend the extra 100$ for a silver capped Pete.
For outdoors, out and about...shooting (firearms...gasp) for example...and being able to put a pipe in your pocket without filling my pocket with ash/tobac is gut. Those old Germans had some good ideas.
I could take some cell fone pics if anyone cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.