PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
I am considering purchasing a nice pipe with a bamboo shank. It has several small cracks parallel with the knuckles. Can't really tell for sure, but I'm thinking they may have been caused by dehydration. Does that make sense? Will these cracks cause problems with the pipe in the future? Is there a way to correct this issue? Should I walk away from this pipe?

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I have collected bamboo shanked pipes for years, including some that I would bet are older then that Autograph. I have yet to have one fail, and they have developed the same cracking over the years of use. I have always thought it was the result of the expansion and contraction of the bamboo due to changing moisture levels. Just my guess, and as the cracks are perpendicular to the fibers in the bamboo I doubt they will ever cause a failure in my pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone posted pics of some decades old Kaywoodie pipes with bamboo shanks that looked good, and

seemed to have no cracks, so that is possible. Tsuge used to make some bamboo pipes that looked great

and seemed high quality, although there are never guarantees on cracking with bamboo. I think another

factor is finding a pipe where the "exotic" material just looks patched in and incongruous. Others add the

bamboo with taste and a good feel for design.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Also bamboo absorbs oils from the smoke that would over time render the bamboo better than the day it rolled off the production line as long as the steel tubing was used at the ends of the bamboo to ensure its strength. This is what I have been lead to believe after web study and talking to Fremont Pipe Supplies

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
From what I'm reading here, the cracks may just be something cosmetic and may not affect the integrity of the pipe. That's a good thing.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I like working with bamboo shanked pipes. The bamboo comes from nature as described. Shellac will have no effect on the bamboo with helping the cracks. Bamboo is used all over Asia for scaffolding on buildings. Its surprisingly strong for such light weight.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
A lot of Carvers will install stainless steel tubing in the bamboo to alleviate future problems. You might want to contact the shop and inquire if that particular Savinelli has tubing. Either way I think that pipe has a long life ahead.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ cally454, a guy at the local pipe meeting said the same thing. Stainless tube all the way through. But I also read that you only want the tubing where it joins to the shank. The reason being the bamboo absorbs moisture so a solid steel tube will prevent that. I only do the 1 inch section and another for the bit. Bamboo is really strong stuff and IMO a solid length of tubing is not needed. BUT this is also why bamboo pipes are known for ghosting. IS why its a good idea to use only one type of tobacco in a bamboo pipe if you are picky about ghosting.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
"Pipes with bamboo shank" reminds me of posts by fishnbanjo, such as this one:

Bamboo PAD
...perpendicular to the fibers in the bamboo I doubt they will ever cause a failure in my pipes...

I agree with desertpipe.

I work with bamboo in a hobby, and find that 'cracks' perpendicular to the bamboo / fibers are just on the surface and they can actually add to the aesthetic quality of the piece. When will make the bamboo leaks are crack along / parallel to the bamboo / fibers itself.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Most bamboo shanks are not removable. As to the steel tubing, I think the usual method is to use the tubing as a tenon to hold the briar to the bamboo and the bamboo to the stem, but not to run the tubing all the way through the bamboo. The bamboo absorbs a lot of moisture, yielding a dry smoke. You don't get that effect, though, if the tubing runs the whole length of the bamboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.