PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Algerian briar . A sweet smoking pipe? I know some pipes can produce a sweeter smoke than others and remember reading somewhere about Algerian briar being a 'sweeter' wood? Is this correct? Over time the sweet cake will absorb the flavor of the briar and the result of smoking a pipe with a well formed cake is a mellow, sweet smoke. I'd enjoy hearing others opinions on this.
I did some research and have come to the conclusion this Bjarne -Hand Made- pipe was made by Mogens Johansen. I purchased this pipe as an estate (unsmoked) and out of all my pipes this one will produce the sweetest smoke ever.
Please share images of your sweetest smoking pipe and if you know what type of briar it was made from share that info as well. Thanks.
bj1.jpg

bj3.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It would make a good article to discuss the different sourced briars and get authoritative opinions on their

characteristics. I have always wondered about this. It would be useful to both pipe purchasers and pipe

carvers, both pros and hobbiest carvers with pre-drilled blocks. It is my impression that Benton uses

Algerian briar, and that would explain how they make rather fine smokers at quite low prices. Not long ago,

I bought a PTM Adadeus pot from Iwan Ries made with Greek briar, and I am impressed with the light weight

and quality smoke, though it has some breaking-in to go. I don't know what briar Johs uses, but a recent

Group 4 Dublin is impressive visually and almost weightless; if it smokes and lasts well, that is notable.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like that one, too. Very nice lines.
I have a variety of estate pipes made from briars from different regions, cherry wood and mountain laurel, too. Since they are very much broken in already I can't really detect any sort of "native" flavor out of them.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My "sweetest smoking" pipes are my newer cobs.
Great looking pipe, btw!

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have nothing to comment on what your asking, but I want to say that I love the looks of that pipe!
Sounds like you enjoy using it as much as we like seeing it, I would call that sweet.

monsterbear

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
I have a couple of servi meers but I never thought they smoked any sweeter than my briars. My Nording has a smokier flavor no matter what I put in it, but I have a Peterson and Stanwell that smoked pretty sweet without much cake in them. Now that some cake has been formed they are pretty fantastic. Most of my artisans though haven't been as sweet, not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.