Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipes vs Druggie Crap. Annoyed

(51 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by macysdad
  • Latest reply from mayfair70
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

macysdad

Login to Send PM

Ive been smoking cigars for years. Just getting in to pipes. I want a pipe for some nice tobacco. keep it classy. Am i the only one one really annoyed by all these bongs, and druggie pipes being associated with a nice wood tobacco pipe? or am I being over sensitive?

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunno about over sensitivity but I do not make such an association.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Firstly, welcome. Secondly, yes, you're being overly sensitive. I'm not sure what you mean by "associated" but when I buy my tobacco and my pipes, I don't have to wade through glass pieces intended for smoking marijuana or anything else. Maybe you're shopping at different places than I am?

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nowadays the druggies are soccer moms that twist an ankle and have the doctor give them Oxycontin, and thus a woman that would never use a drug quickly becomes a junky crushing her oxy's and injecting them. A preacher has a migraine goes to the doctor and a couple of months later is buying heroine on the streets. The druggies and junkies are our neighbors, grocers, the mom taking her kids to school in a minivan. I look like them, you look like them, we are all capable of falling for the trust of our doctors.

That said, my tobacconist doesn't carry head shop stuff. You need a better pipe shop.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why be annoyed at something you have no control over? Wasted emotion. One only gets a certain amount of annoyance in life, don't waste it.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't sweat what you can't control. Life will be better.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the tobacconists I frequent carries glass pipes, and all other things associated with a head shop, but it mainly sells pipe tobacco, pipes, RYO cigarette supplies, cigars, and has a cigar lounge. They cater to all types of smokers. While in the shop the staff waits on pipe smokers and pot smokers and it doesn't bother me. I don't worry about what other people think I might be doing, and if they really want to know I'll show them my pipes and tobacco and share any information about it they might want to know. Of course In Washington (State) and Oregon, marijuana use is so common now that no one really reacts to it anymore.

If you want to smoke a pipe then smoke a pipe and enjoy it. Don't worry about what others might think of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

people don't generally see many pipe smokers, every time i pull out my corn cop and my bag of tobbacy, younger people think i am smoking weed, i have to show them the art of smoking good tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was packing my pipe at the park last summer, and this kid, probably 15-16, was watching me wide-eyed like he couldn't believe that I was doing "that" out in the open. I just winked and fired it up, like "look how freakin' cool I am." I don't have to hide while I smoke, ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

The place I buy my Carter Hall from, they special order the tubs for me. They also sell glass pipes, cigarettes, vape stuff, chew, rolling supplies, and has a big walk in humidor. They could sell anything, but as long as they have my Carter Hall, I'll look past the rest.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

younger people think i am smoking weed

They're not very familiar with either, then.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

A preacher has a migraine goes to the doctor and a couple of months later is buying heroine on the streets

Lol no. You should be writing 1930's propaganda films. Also priests are probably looking for dudes on the street...not FEMALE HEROES

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I buy tobacco-related products from head shops. We're both relegated to pariah status, with head shops slowly becoming more accepted and and the tobacco products they may carry less so. Ironically, we're being looked down on as scum by the soccer moms shooting Oxy and the pastors buying heroin on the streets. The snooty junkie assholes!

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

I hate it when I go into the cheese section of my local supermarket to purchase a fine aged Manchego, and have to see blocks of Velveeta on my way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me, too. Fortunately my sweetheart does all the shopping. I am not fond of snooty cheese-only shops, mostly because of the prices, but it is an alternative.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. saintpeter

saintpeter

Login to Send PM

I hate it when I go into the cheese section of my local supermarket to purchase a fine aged Manchego, and have to see blocks of Velveeta on my way.

You realize Gorgonzola is a gateway cheese, right? I have seen the effect. People laying in alley shadows, sucking cheeze whiz straight from the spout without even crackers. Oh, the inhumanity.

Carter Hall...when you care enough to burn the best.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have ingested cheese from a can and felt ashamed, so I forgoed my food network cheese episodes for a week as punishment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OMG, Brad, and you survived!! That's amazingly good luck.

I once asked an Italian deli owner in NYC if he had Gouda cheese. He smiled wickedly and said, "Whassa matter, you? Alla my cheeses are gooda." True story, but I doubt I was the first to set that up there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dangit guys, all this talk about cheese is turning me on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll cut the cheese!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cosmicbobo

David

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gruyere! There, I said it. I said it in a public forum. Damned pushers hooked me at 6$ a pound in the eighties and in a mere thirty years they gouge me at 22.99. I'm hooked. WhatamI going to do? I gave my kids tin cups and told them to bring home enough to buy some more. They could keep ten percent for their college fund. The wife gets processed cheese food for her sandwiches, while I feast on Gruyere melted on bacon on sourdough toast. I need help

Be that as it may, it probably never was...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"....while I feast on Gruyere melted on bacon on sourdough toast. I need help".

Those are some of my favorite things! And all three together. Yum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Nowadays the druggies are soccer moms that twist an ankle and have the doctor give them Oxycontin, and thus a woman that would never use a drug quickly becomes a junky crushing her oxy's and injecting them. A preacher has a migraine goes to the doctor and a couple of months later is buying heroine on the streets. The druggies and junkies are our neighbors, grocers, the mom taking her kids to school in a minivan. I look like them, you look like them, we are all capable of falling for the trust of our doctors.

Well-said, Cosmic. We are surrounded by addicts taking very powerful and addictive legalized prescription drugs.

Hmm. I always thought drug pipes were usually made from metal or glass. Maybe times have changed and they have moved into using briar pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like velveeta. I can get a year's supply of sodium in one sandwich!

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

OP - Overly sensitive, just a tad. Cannabis has been used as a medicine for thousands of years (documented in ancient China and Egypt) and is not physically addictive. I used it for pain for 20 years without any trouble and it worked better than anything else on the planet. Now I'm on those damn opiates for pain cause I'm in Indiana and none of the politicians know anything about pharmacology.

I feel your pain, sir. I hope you can find a nice tobacco store without all the incense and weird paraphernalia found in head shops. I think pipe tobacco should be prescribed for stress and lounges set up for indoor smoking in clinics and hospitals in every city in America.

Cheese puns? I know a Gouda one...

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know where the hell you're fromage, but around here, if you want a cheesy pun war, you'd better tread Caerphilly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since we'er on the subject of cheese.... for my Black Frigate brothers

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

^^^

What kind of druggie Muensters would force you to Gruyere own tobacco instead of going into a Head shop? That gets me right in the Gorgonzola. I guess you can't Havarti your cakes and Edam too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

I didn't know I was opening up such a huge can of cheez-whiz.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Havarti your cakes and Edam too.
    Ha!!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cosmicbobo

David

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, I used to get Roast Beef sandwiches in the Italian area of town. The owner always put Gorgonzola on it. Sublime

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cosmicbobo

David

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, that picture was wrong in just so many ways I had a Cheesegasm

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I guess you can't Havarti your cakes and Edam too."

Yarg, that's what I get for Acton like a Pecorino!

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, that picture was wrong in just so many ways I had a Cheesegasm

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

pipes vs. druggies

implaying tobacco isn't a drug... How about your beer, wine or liquor you drink by times? Ain't they drugs too?

To each his own, "Leben und leben lassen" we say here in Germany, means "living, and letting (others) live"!
    Also +1 on Cosmic. The teenage stoners smoking some pot on the weekend are the minor problem!

So I would say, yes...you're quite sensible..focus your view on things you like, no on those you don't.

Regards and welcome,

Deniz

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only get annoyed by it when I go looking on eBay for tobacco pipes and half the listings that pop up are for glass, ceramic and metal pipes that have bowls way to small to put tobacco in.

I used to be concerned about "drug paraphernalia" while in the Coast Guard. But I retired 24 year ago and now it's none of my business.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

@mso489 OMG I really needed that laugh. I could almost picture your look of astonishment when you realized just what you had walked into!

Back on topic though. I don't sweat the crazy stuff I have seen in smoke shops. I don't care for it and would rather not see it there but it is what it is. I have to travel quite a way to get to any B&M pipe shop so I'm a bit picky - I finally found one in Columbus Ga that is decent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We gripe about the loss of B&Ms and complain when B&Ms try to adapt to survive.

The B&Ms are not here for us, they exist for the owners. We pesky customers are the way to riches and must be tended but, a handful of tobacco smokers in a 100 mile radius is not sufficient to support a retail store. Gotta keep the customer base as large as possible and growing as expenses are always rising. A dollar from a metal pipe smoker is every bit as good as a dollar from a tobacco pipe smoker or a Camel smoker.

Those of you who wish to keep a B&M, pipe and cigar exclusive, in your area need to start dropping a couple hundred dollars a day there, every business day. The last Tinder Box I was in, many (20?) years ago, had expanded to plaques, coats of arms, desk accessories, etc. to pay the bills. I believe it is gone now, South Center Mall south of Seattle.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. cosmicbobo

David

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren just said what I woke up, read above posts, and wanted to say. It would be nice if the glass pipes and stuff were in one area of the store, but I would be happy for the B&M survival.

While I was cruising pipe accessories online I came across a Rizla Style Roller and Papers. For the price I bought them, but to roll a cig with my pipe tobacco if I ever needed to sneak a smoke in the little boys room.

Save the B&M. Matters not to my daily life, just to my memories and soul.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Alcohol is much worse for you than marijuana. Cheese on the other hand, is extremely addicting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Cheese stinks

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If a moderator says it, it must be true.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. saintpeter

saintpeter

Login to Send PM

What a strange thread. All the members hamming it up over cheese with comments both weird and wry. Oh wait...could this be the famed ham and cheese on wry? Just asking, ya know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. cosmicbobo

David

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^OUCH!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have a nice, foo-foo cheese shop in town. I go there about once per year and spend mostly time.

They just announced 30% of profits to hurricane victims for the month! So, I drug my tightwad butt over and pried open my wallet a bit.

I got a few ounces of the Caveman blue cheese from Rogue Creamery.

Any blue/green fans need to check it out...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

ham and cheese on wry?

I like the cut of your jib...Or any other cut of mutton.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I have to ask: Has anyone here added cheese to a blend? A little Stilton finely grated perhaps. Jay??

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My cheese cravings do rival my tobacco cravings but I have, so far, kept them apart.

I can only imagine the high velocity cheese balls fired during a pipe retort...

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. cosmicbobo

David

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stilton, only if you can get the unpasteurized

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

A true story of cheese, cannons, and valor. I can't find the original link. Enjoy telling at your next pipe club meeting.
    https://weirdhistorynut.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/1868-infamous-united-states-navys-battle-of-the-cheeses/

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   npod, judcole