Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I retired two years ago from hard labor. Health issues made it difficult to carry on with the daily grind and as soon as I became eligible for Medicare, I gave my notice.

It took me another year to discover pipe smoking, and this last year has been a whole lot of fun because of this splendid pastime.
escudo-600x450.jpg

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Glad too here sir (newbroom). I see a escudo tin near by, I enjoy the stuff myself. enjoy your retirement sir, and your new hobby pipes. Take care.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
About 19 years from retirement, but been enjoying the hobby for twenty-four years. Glad you are too my friend!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Thanks mlyvers.

Yep. I found Escudo to be most excellent. FYI...on the rack on the stool I have on the left, a Dunhill Shell with silver band. On the right I can see my Robb cherrywood, but I can't identify the rest on that rack...in the ash tray sits my Swiss Dry Smoker..this is an old pic...I have more racks and stands, and more pipes than spaces.

I told ya I was having fun! :puffy:
I envy you your youth, chasingembers, and your (relative to me) precocious recognition of the pipe.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hell I have about 8.5 years too work, looking forward to retirement myself. Hey newbroom how many Dunhills do u own? I own none, but have several Charatan pipes.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's my only one. It has a replacement stem. I've got about $140 in it...the stem is 'certified'..not an excellent knock off...I paid more to have the stem made than I did for the pipe.

No Charatans here. Just haven't been at the right place in the right mood I guess. I understand by all accounts that these are pretty good smokers? I've got several 'makes'...no artisans, except my brother's first pipe, and that will be art in my lifetime (and unsmoked). It's not a very good pipe....but it works as art. :puffpipe:

I don't smoke the Dunhill either. I pursued it, obtained it, replaced the replacement stem and racked it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No envy necessary my friend. I have always harbored an old soul with a love of nostalgia, and at seventeen I picked up a Grabow Duke, like my grandfather loved, for a better understanding of that wonderful old guy. He passed when I was very young, but always looked so at ease with his pipes. Ended up falling in love with them myself, and the adventure continues!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm with you newbroom! I'm 4 years into retirement, because I decided I'd rather be poor and happy rather than have more money and miserable. Reminds me of an old bumper sticker, " The worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work". Not sure if that's true for everyone, and I'm not known for being the sharpest tack in the box, but so far so good. It's fun being on this forum, and playing with pipes and tobacco. :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Orley, so many facets to this that it makes it a real journey worth taking just for the history lessons and the camaraderie.

If I don't stop bidding on stuff, I'll be in the poor house before I know it. I'll be living on a fixed income with a broke budget.

To my chagrin, I just found out that I 'won' another bid LAST SUNDAY...three estate meers, all billiards, and a three pipe stand with glass humidor...there went another $30.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I retired for health reasons 13 years ago and my wife retired 9 years ago thanks to pension soc sec and investments our income has gone up as expenses have decreased. So what is wrong. Health. Money and security are good health is better. Shel

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Being 20+ years out from retirement, I don't expect I will ever have the chance. I think we'll look back and see that a comfortable middle class retirement was a 20th century phenomenon.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I also retired two years ago newbroom. Living on a fixed income as well but between a pension and SS it is adequate but it would not be without the unfortunate circumstance of the passing nearly three years ago of my wife of 27 years. Pipes are a comfort and I can use all of those I can get. Fortunately my health is fairly decent, at least to the extent that I am taking no prescription meds.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Six more years and I will be right there with you. Being self-employed and making decent $$$ now with no significant retirement savings means I will be living on social security. Getting what I can now so my cellar will carry me through with a few inexpensive additions is a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.