PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have you ever realized that some of the pipes you've had for a long, long time are gaining in stature and rarity? I'm not exactly a high end collector, but even some of my lower end pipes, over the decades, have become distinctive. You can't get them anymore at all, or they were made better in the old days. I have an exquisite Bari, a Danish pipe, that was given to me by an inlaw decades ago, and it has aged incredibly well and has always been an outstanding smoker. Now you have to hunt down Bari's on ebay, and who knows how they've been treated. My first pipe is a Chacom (I think) sold as a Tinder Box St. Ives, and has a unique bent pot shape with an unusual vertical saddle stem, really pretty and still smoking strong. I think some of my Johs have about doubled in value, to buy a pipe like that today, partly because of inflation, but also because Johs has gained stature. And so on. Briar Kaywoodies and Yello-Bowls are hard to get and some of the old shapes aren't sold. So whether you get these good older pipes on ebay or at flea markets, or just bought them in the days of yore and hung onto them, you may have some rare items just by hanging onto them. Do you have some oldies but goodies? Especially ones you bought new that have become classics?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not photo adept, one of several of us on Forums. I've certainly fiddled around following the instructions, and I'm sure for the technically oriented it's a snap. But it just annoys the hell out of me, so I don't labor at it. Sorry guys. Had bad on-the-job computer experiences although I used 'em daily for decades, and got ripped off by one of the big hardware companies when I bought a computer for home (attorney generals from a dozen states finally got us poor victims paid back). Then the same outfit tried to start billing me again for the same non-service. I think all this served as aversion therapy. Also, my mindset is not binary, not engineering inclined, etc. Many apologies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I bought these two Sasieni pipes back in the mid 1980s but I never hear much about them. One is a 10 dot, and the other is a 6 dot, and they were under $80 each. I posted them here a couple of years ago, but there doesn't seem to be very much info about them. They are both great smokers, but obviously they are not old family era pipes. I noticed that Shiny Pipes has a 10 dot on ebay for $450.00, which I think is pretty absurd, but hey what do I know?

img_0174-600x449.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orley, without stretching the point too far, I do think sometimes mid-priced pipes sometimes achieve a higher level of quality than their price indicates, so once they become unavailable or rare, it is easy to see how owners would explore asking a lot for them. I think $450 is unlikely, but they might get a lot more than the original corrected for inflation, if someone likes the pipe. They look really nicely made.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I never think of my older pipes in terms of current value but as old friends. I doubt most are worth very much on the collectors scale. Since I have no intention of ever selling them the value to me is on the smoking experience each gives me.

It's only in the past few years that I've added higher priced pipes and commissions so the market value is undetermined other than what I paid. I suppose we all wonder if there's a $1,000 sitting in our rack somewhere. I call it the Antique Roadshow effect but I'm not kidding myself about such things. I just enjoy the pipes I have and the pleasure they deliver. I can't put a price on that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good points, but I know there's no pipe worth a grand in my racks!
My antique roadshow type thing is this: I happen onto a garage sale and there's a book box full of old Barlings, GBDs, Comoys, Savs, etc, etc. for walk away $10 or some such.
And one pipe that's gained stature is a bent billiard I bought from The Wilke Pipe shop in NYC in 1966.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Don't know about stature, but some of my old cheapie pipes from the 1970' are absolutely great smokers now. My Dr. Grabow author, for instance, is a hard to find shape these days, and is my pipe of choice when I want an aromatic.

Before "Artisan" became a thing, I obtained this Sam Martin in 1986:

This one might have gained a little, stature wise.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have a few that I bought years ago from like Brebbia or one that I have come to find out is quite a pipe is my Bjarne Freehand that I got before he died. I wanted to sell it but now I just can bring myself to do so.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Restoring a Grabow author like that right now. Need a band. I'll post a picture. I have many Ehrlich's and consider them excellent smokers.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Download-File

Here it is. Got it from a thrift store down in the hills. It was beat up pretty good. Cake in the bowl. Teeth chatter, nick marks on the bowl where I assumed the previous owner would knock the ash out. Had to sand it down and it's a work in progress still.

Status
Not open for further replies.