Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Pipes So Nice You Bought Them Twice

(38 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mostly go for variety in brands, nations of origin, shapes, etc. etc. On a few occasions, I've bought more than one example of a particular brand and shape. I'm not as devoted as chasing embers with his Sav 904's, so two of anything is a real commitment for me. I have two 404 yachts from Savinelli, one an unfinished Sav darkened from long ago, and one a Rossi Palermo. I have two Stawell bulldog 32s, one in silk brune and one smooth finish. And I have two Peterson B11 bent brandy/volcano, one a Killarney ebony dress pipe, and one a Shannon. I've actually been to Shannon, though I bought the pipe online. Have you doubled up on anything? If so, what? In each case, I just liked the first pipe so well, the second seemed foreordained. I have a number of straight tapered billiards, but they are from various brands -- BC, Chacom, Benton, Tsuge, Jerry Perry, Jobey, Ropp, and others.

Posted 6 days ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Stanwell 185 smokes so well that I grabbed the same shape again when they had that crazy $20 sale some time ago.

I guess my old 10 pack of MM seconds doesn't count...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 6 days ago #
  3. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I have 3 Savinelli 315 pipes, two 315KS spigot sterlings (one bordeaux one natural) as well as one Roma 315EX. That would be the most of any specific model of shape I own. Excellent smokers.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 6 days ago #
  4. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several brand/shape collections but I’ve never bought any two identical pipes yet.

Posted 6 days ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alaska', I have a 315 KS in the Oscar Lucite series, not as handsome as yours with the metal work, but a great shape with a big bowl and light weight over all. Nice.

Posted 6 days ago #
  6. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently bough a cheapie Rossi 673 bent bulldog shape, and it's one I'd actually like to get a nicer/higher end version of. Smokes wonderfully, especially for Latakia blends.

A few years ago, I was gifted one of those Stanwell brushed pipes in the 45 shape, I think. a Nice, small conservative looking pot. That's another shape I'd be happy to have more of.

But mostly, I see myself as wanting a variety.

Posted 6 days ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

Savinelli 614. Roma Lucite and Otello smooth with fantastic cross grain. These are the only duplicates I have of my total of 36 pipes.

Posted 6 days ago #
  8. lukasstrifeson

Lukas the Trickster

Login to Send PM

Paging @npod - I think he might have 2 or 3 of the same Castellos

@puffpuffpokerclub

"The answers lie in the flames." - E.E. Twain
    Posted 6 days ago #
  9. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somehow, I wound up with 2 Castello 15's (both with saddle stems). One has a holographic swirl on the stem and the stain is a bit lighter. Other than that, they are as bad close as 2 hand-mades can get.

I'm not sure but, I think alcohol may have had something to do with those gets.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 6 days ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

prndl, I'll drink to that.

Posted 6 days ago #
  11. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I have a low end GBD quarter bent squat bulldog (549) New Era that smokes so well, and is so comfortable, that I bought the same shape in yet even lower grades (Popular and Natural); and they smoke equally well. I also bought the Savinelli 623 (Pisa) which is very similar, and smokes as well.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 days ago #
  12. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 2 identical Ruthenbergs, first one smoked so good, that down the road another came into the estate market at SP, was priced so good I couldn’t help myself.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 6 days ago #
  13. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Paging @npod - I think he might have 2 or 3 of the same Castellos

hahaha, I had the same thought. He has like 44 44s

And of course the captain, who has enough savinelli yachtsmen to man an armada.

Posted 6 days ago #
  14. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

alaska', I have a 315 KS in the Oscar Lucite series, not as handsome as yours with the metal work, but a great shape with a big bowl and light weight over all. Nice.

Yeah, I absolutely love this shape. So much so I am considering commissioning one with a longer stem and some straight grain. The one shown is dedicated to SPC Plum Pudding Reserve, and it smokes like an absolute dream.

Posted 6 days ago #
  15. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

Technically, most of my Dunnies are duplicates since I buy the same pipe in different finishes. The ones I have actual duplicates of are a few 6103 Shells and some billiard Upshalls.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    Posted 5 days ago #
  16. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

And of course the captain, who has enough savinelli yachtsmen to man an armada.

Before I quit buying altogether, my target was thirty-one. I think I have twenty-six.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 5 days ago #
  17. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

I have two, one newly aquired, GBD 549's, same as Cortez. One is a Celebrity and the one is a Granitan I traded with a forum member. Haven't smoked that one yet but hoping to give it an inagural this weekend!

Posted 4 days ago #
  18. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, there are my bookoodles of bent bulldogs, of course, but on actual exact duplicates, I've got 4 GBD 508s (classic half-bent billiard), one Virgin & the rest a couple of New Standards & a New Era. A couple of Comoy Canadians (both old Pebble Grain, natch), & of course like geo, my 3 dearly beloved Sav 614 jawhangers. They're almost like not even having a pipe in my teeth at all. One a Tre, an Oscar, & a Roma (all rusticateds; I really like that finish.).

I don't *think* there are any others I have that are all exactly the same shapes, but there might be, God knows I don't keep up with all of mine!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 4 days ago #
  19. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own a couple of Ryan Alden pipes. While they aren't any exact duplicates, the stem work is.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 days ago #
  20. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Peterson army mounts. A few different shapes and a couple sandblast finishes but definitely some duplicates in there. I think I have 9 total.

Posted 4 days ago #
  21. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 2 sandblasted BriarWorks c23 Lovat, one Dark and one brown. I also have 3 Peterson 999s in different finishes.

Posted 4 days ago #
  22. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I have three Savinelli #673. Oceano rusticated, Tortuga smooth, and an Oscar Tiger rusticated. Love that shape

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 3 days ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife gave me a 673 one Christmas, and it is definitely worth owning two. D&R makes a two-burley toasted blend, that's twice toasted, that is called Two Timer, which otherwise would have made a good title for this thread.

Posted 3 days ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most notable examples I can think of are my pair of Brebbia Jumbo Bulldogs and some Savinelli super duper EX Lovats (not official name) that I keep in a padded case.

Buying cheap sandblast B-Line pipes from James Barber it’s always hard not to get duplicates since you never know what a blast is going to look like.

Then there was the time Smokingpipes had a bunch of 7” long Ropp Canadians for a very decent price... I bought six of them.

Posted 3 days ago #
  25. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not yet, but Stanwell's shape 83 is just perfect for me. I have a Royal Guard, a low end that I use as a beater pipe. It's a perfect clencher and a good smoker. I want another, preferably a sandblast with a metal accent.
    I also want to duplicate my Savinelli 602 and 614, actually 9614, but it's the same thing, apparently. Punto Oro, here's looking at you, kid.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 3 days ago #
  26. lraisch

lraisch

Login to Send PM

When I first started building a rotation back in the 70's I wanted to try pipes from different makers. I tended to try a pipe of a particular brand and then if I really liked it, I'd get a second one. I guess that was to confirm my opinion.

For a while I ended up with two Caminettos, two GBDs, two Comoys, two Castellos and so on. Inevitably then I would move on to another maker and give them a try.

After my pipe buying slowed down a little I did start to fill in some more from favorite brands and then began buying estates.

With estate pipes I find it's a case of locating the right shape, finish and condition from a maker that may not even be in business anymore or where the current production is not the same quality as in bygone days. Consequently, those purchases have been a little more one off.

Posted 3 days ago #
  27. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha. I like this subject. I bought two Stanwell # 29’s. One is a Trio (a true beaut).

The other 29 is a Brushed Brown I picked up for $20.

The other one is another Stanwell Trio #13 and you guessed it, I bought the same shape in the BB $20 deal.

If I could I would probably buy another 12 and 88. I just love Stanwell’s. They are inexpensive and they smoke like champs!

I’m also looking to buy another Savinelli but I don’t know the shape number, maybe y’all could help me out with this. It’s a Savinelli but it was made for a local b&m that no longer exists and it doesn’t have the number in the nomenclature. It was the first pipe I bought and I absolutely love it!

Here’s a pic:

If anyone knows the shape number of this please do tell. I’ve been looking out for one (in a lazy manner, I basically only look at SmokingPipes) and I can’t seem to find this same shape, I’ve seen some that are close but no cigar.

Posted 3 days ago #
  28. lraisch

lraisch

Login to Send PM

The Savinelli looks to be a shape 626.

Posted 3 days ago #
  29. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Savinelli looks to be a shape 626.

Thank you, it’s close but no cigar. It’s hard to tell from the photo but the shank on mine isn’t round, it’s more of a triangle that comes to three rounded points. I’ll see if I can find a better pic, if not I’ll take one.

Edit* I don’t know if this pic helps any but pay attention to the shank and stem:

Posted 2 days ago #
  30. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got a rustic-looking hand-carved four pipe rack that I've thought would be cool to fill with four pipes of the same design with different finishes. I'll probably get around to it sometime, but not until I find a pipe I like so much that I feel the need to buy it again in lieu of trying something new. My Peterson 87 army mount fish tail is probably the top candidate so far.

Posted 2 days ago #
  31. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two Peter Heeschen saddle bit, silver-banded brandies. With all due respect to the Tom Eltang poker, these are the perfect smoking machines.

Posted 2 days ago #
  32. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3 Peterson 303 spigots, smooth briar, 2 with red cumberland, all fishtail stems....produced in late 80's.

Looking for a nice older estate 302 spigot/fishtail (cumberland or black vulc.) Or a estate Lestrade (Petersons best looking pipe IMO)

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 2 days ago #
  33. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Looks like a 677.

Posted 2 days ago #
  34. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I have 5 Peterson X105 and 6 savinelli 106. I guess I have a problem

Posted 2 days ago #
  35. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Embers, you are right! Thank you, I just came back on here to share the news that London Calling on YouTube just had a new video up where he had the same pipe so I asked him what it was and he just replied that it was a 677 so low and behold I may have to buy one now that I’ve found it. Thank y’all!

Posted 2 days ago #
  36. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

....and I just bought the Tortuga 677KS! Noice!

Posted 2 days ago #
  37. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm always surprised when I buy two similar pipes, and I usually get at least a different finish. I just ordered a MM/C&D collaboration cob, and I already have the Charlie Town version and the Dagner/MM collaboration poker. These have acrylic stems and all of the good MM cob characteristics. I treat them like permanent pipes, which they are to me, to go along with my regular mm cobs refitted with Forever stems. Certain blends smoke exceptionally well, better than ever, in a MM cob. Also I savor the Americana aspect. The one I ordered is named the Carolina Gentleman, and how could I resist that?

Posted 1 day ago #
  38. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Certain blends smoke exceptionally well, better than ever, in a MM cob. Also I savor the Americana aspect.

Agreed! I was out kayaking yesterday on our local stream, and an unexpected summer rain shower popped up. I waited out the rain on a little gravel bar while sitting underneath the trunk of a very large sycamore leaning towards the river, accompanied by a Heineken and a MM cob full of Carter Hall. Though the rain ultimately cut my trip short and caused me to turn back when I heard thunder rolling in, the smoke under the sycamore was the highlight of the trip

Posted 1 day ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin