PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Do some pipes tend to cause more condensation than others? I have a Medico Chemin de Fer that seems to end up with a wet mess at the bottom no matter what I do. It also seems to smoke quite a bit hotter than my other pipes. Am I doing something to cause this?

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
yeah i get alot of dampness at the bottom of my briar. especially if its a tobacco like 1Q or BCA. i usually just knock out the ash and hit the wet stuff at the bottom for an extra second or 2 with the flame and that gets it burning for the rest of the smoke
doesnt happen with my cobs or falcon though

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Hotness = wetness.
Understand that the tobacco combustion process produces moisture, and the perfect smoke is a balance between combustion heat driving off the excess moisture, leading to a dry smoke, vs a build-up of moisture that occurs if you burn too quickly - the pipe can't compensate for the influx of moisture.
Cobs smoke dry because they are really absorbant, and therefore more forgiving of poor technique than most briars.
Slow down! Don't let the bowl get hot... relight as necessary. Once you learn to really simmer slowly, a lot of flavors will open up for you in most tobaccos.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Resting enough pipe, drying well tobacco, loose packing, slow smoking, using pipe cleaner will help moisture problem I guess.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
pipe cleaners !!
i have a double ring military pipe with a very deep bend stem - i salivate a lot but this pipe is interesting - dont know why but saliva accumulates in the stem & comes back when i draw - the tobacco is ok & the saliva does not reach the bowl - 3 cleaners per smoke just need to ream out the stem often.

nice flavour though - de paja or jacopo too small to see eyes are 70 years old no magnifier - love that double military ring - one on the shank one on the stem they meet nicely for a tight connection so there is no chance of their separating due to the extreme bend in the stem.

nice smoker with some esoterica ramsgate
another topic:

i have an old calabash from early 1900's - watched an early movie with boris carlof in his youth - one of the characters walked around smoking a large calabash - actually smoking it - the bowl was the size of his hand - wont see that any more in the movies - no class- just techno violence now-a-days.
hope all are enjoying the "best old man" day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.