PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
:) News for american pipe smokers :
Just for the information, the pipes ROPP are manufactured by the company Chapuis-Comoy, Chacom pipes therefore, next to St.Claude.

(Chapuis-Comoy is an independent company and has not been part of the Cuty-Fort group since March 2000.)

Currently, ROPP pipes come out of the same workshops as Chacom pipes, and are also sold all over the world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Ropp, with a glossy finish, but a good little smoker, fairly tight draw but not grudging. Nice looking pipe.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I just bought a Ropp Vintage Sandblasted 347T. Solid little cutty with a horn stem. The stem drilling was a mess (almost blocked), but I fixed it. Can't wait to smoke it. The horn stem is a little rounded, but it seems like it will be a good clencher.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Bought two of the Superior Algerian briars from old stock stummels. Fantastic little pipes.
They are little too. Typical of the time period they were made and of the French style. If you want ginormous pipes, these are not the droids you're looking for.
Love. Them.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Two smokes in, and I love it. I questioned the horn stem, but it may be my favorite stem after two smokes. It's a pretty rounded oval, but it sits deeper in my teeth and is very comfortable. I feels like a great vulcanite stem in my teeth. I wonder how it will look after some significant use. It seems like after two stems the horn may be darkening throughout. I was worried the inside would get black and it would look dirty, but it seems like the whole thing may just darken, which would be great. Does anyone know what kind of horns they use for these stems? I want to make some for my other pipes.
It's a small bowl, but it's perfect for me. I mostly smoke flakes, so it's still a two hour bowl for me. But a normal 0.75" bowl is 2.5-3 hours for me. The blasting is pretty deep. The bottom of the foot is blasted like the rest of the pipe, which make it want to wobble a little. It will sit filled or not), but it takes a little balancing. I modify all my pipes for fun, and I will definitely sand the foot down some and the rim and stain them with a reddish brown stain for style. But I do that stuff a lot. I previously mentioned that I reworked the stem drilling to clean out some hanging chads and opened up the slot a little. Had I not done that, it would not have passed a cleaner. I do that to almost every pipe except Briarworks, Stanwells and Dunhills.
If you've been on the fence for these horn stems and vintage stummels, don't delay.
nvZ9WTY.jpg

My pipe on smokingpipes.com Ropp

Vintage 347T for $66+shipping

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
In principle so far it was local French cow horn (the horn is often blonde).

In general in the tip of the cow's horn that one makes the pipes, this is the reason the lenses are almost always narrow, since cut at the end of the attribute of the beast.
The automation of production is not possible given the specificity of the material and its uniqueness, the manufacture of this type of pipe died out around 1950. In addition, the industrial feeding of cattle no longer allowed the animal to make beautiful horns, hard and strong.

But the production of the great era, impressive in quality and quantity, has favored the constitution of almost inexhaustible stocks. Horn pipes are still legion in the drawers of some pipers of Saint-Claude.
But beware, now often they cut the horns of cows on the farms :(, one day it will be the black horn of import buffalo ... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.