PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Ok, I tried doing some research on cleaning, sour pipes, breaking in and all that but came up empty handed. So I will ask:
When you pack tobacco in a pipe, is it normal to not be able to taste the tobacco?
I can explain a little. I was reading some reviews and some mention the flavor of the tobacco before lighting, much like a pre-light draw on a cigar, but when I tey to get a pre-light taste, I can only taste the pipe. Ashy, smokey, a little acrid... I really noticed this when I received 2 estate pipes that had been cleaned with a retort. They imparted no noticeable taste to the tobacco, and I could taste all of the sweetness and tobacco characteristics, no funky pipe taste.
Do I have sour pipes?? :(
I clean with 2-4 cleaners per pipe after every smoke, have done routine alcohol (barcardi 151) cleanings within the last 3 weeks. There is no nasty taste durning the smoke, I only notice it before lighting.
My pipes are still being broken in... will more cake, especially in the heel, help? Also, I tend to get a gurgle fairly often. Does this added moisture make my pipes sour more quickly? I usually let them rest at least one day between smokes, sometimes more, less frequently less.
Thanks for the help

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Try cleaning with alcohol after every smoke, pipe cleaners by themselves isn't enough to pick up the tastes in the stem that are sour.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
It is not particularly bad during a smoke, but sometimes before, it is very bad. Quite disgusting.
I clean them as well as I can, but was wondering if this was common or if I am doing a bad job cleaning, or if the gurgle moisture or lack of cake was exacerbating the problem.
I think your not seeing any problem answers some of my question. It's common to have some lingering taste

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The 91% isopropyl alcohol (any drug store-cheap) works best for me. Evaporates very fast and does the job. Are you getting into the mortise? Take the pipe cleaner, bend it in half and dip in alcohol and twist inside the mortise. If you're smoking something like Latakia, that could build up there. Also remember that at the bit it's wider, and run the tip back and forth in the slot. You can also get some stainless steel scrubbing pipe cleaners off ebay. But a pipe is a pipe. If you smoke it you're going to smell that ash. Sour is something you can clean.

I would stay away from pipe fresheners. If you clean your pipe, there should be no need. Even though most of my pipes are burners, I still keep them clean and have no problem with tastes.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
After cleaning one particular pipe with a little more alcohol, it tastes MUCH better. I do clean in the mortise and do notice some buildup there. I will swab em out with alcohol a little more frequently. Thanks for the input guys

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Gray, are you using a shank brush and bristle pipe cleaners when you do a deep clean, if not you need to. Also if you can get Everclear, I would. It keeps my pipes very fresh tasting. Also if your pipes are gurgling a lot, you may want to either upgrade to better pipes or send those out to have opened up or fixed. A pipe that gurgles a lot will not give you a good smoke. Foul tasting juice permeates the wood and will leave a nasty taste to a pipe. I have pipes that never ever need a pipe cleaner and those clean up very easily.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Shank brush, yes! I do use one for deep cleaning.
Not sure if I can get everclear... liquor store did not carry it. I use a high proof rum that seems clean well and evaporate quickly.
I do believe that I have some quality pipes (Radice and Luciano) with no substantial engineering problems... I blame my poor technique for gurgles...keep in mind I only started a few months ago! I'm trying! :) I do suspect that the nasty juice is a big factor in the sour taste. I will work on packing and pace!
Thanks fellas

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
We did get a tax refund this year....... :)
I have been one the lookout for another estate Radice dublin (or any other similar shape/good brand)

ime138

Lurker
Feb 5, 2013
this may be way off to your problem, but im a new pipe smoker, and i bought a pipe from a local store and before ever putting tobacco in it it was a real funny taste, i couldnt even bring myself to pack it, and it ended up being the stem, it was oxiizing really bad, so i rubbed it with a magic eraser for a while, and then used some polish and oil oil an cleaned it up real good, it still seemed to smell but after tcleaning it and drying it, it was fine. so its a possibility

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
this may be way off to your problem, but im a new pipe smoker, and i bought a pipe from a local store and before ever putting tobacco in it it was a real funny taste, i couldnt even bring myself to pack it, and it ended up being the stem, it was oxiizing really bad, so i rubbed it with a magic eraser for a while, and then used some polish and oil oil an cleaned it up real good, it still seemed to smell but after tcleaning it and drying it, it was fine. so its a possibility
Thank you for the suggestion! But Most of my pipes have acrylic stems that do not oxidize like vulcanite. But you are correct, an oxidized stem will taste like ass, lol!
So far, I am making sure to scrub of the inside of the stems really well with a couple more pipe cleaners, and giving my pipes more time to dry and I think that is doing the job. I will likely clean em maybe once every week with alcohol as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.