PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not but there's a new series on AMC called TURN, the untold story of Americas first spy ring. For history buffs like me it's a real treat to watch and there's been a few scenes on the first 2 installments that involve a Connecticut tavern and of course, clay tavern pipes and some pipesmoking. Personally, I've never tried a clay pipe but have seen and handled them back when my B&M actually stocked them and I guess a few people bought them and used them for taste testing or perhaps living history demos.

It's my understanding that in colonial times the pipes were left on tavern tables and if a person was so inclined they just broke the end off thereby providing a somewhat sanitary stem in which to smoke their tobacco. I would imagine that you'd have to score around the circumference of the stem and then snap it off so as to get a clean break? When the pipe got too short to hold onto, it was chucked into the hearth I suppose. Has anyone been watching the show and do we have any clay pipe enthusiasts that can tell me if I'm on target in my assessment on how they were smoked?

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Sounds like a great show. Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. I have heard the same regarding the communal clay tavern pipes.

petersonson

Might Stick Around
Mar 28, 2013
Cleveland, TN
Sounds great, I just finished watching Ian Flemming: The man who would be Bond on my DVR. Great series to anyone who is a history buff, Bond lover, or spy show watcher. I'm going to go check out TURN now.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
It's a great show, I believe it is based on the Book George Washingtons Seceret Six. Very good read, glad that I read the book and am enjoying the TV series.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Fleming. The Man Who Would Be Bond was an excellent series and very close to the truth. The other one done on Fleming was called Spy Maker and Fleming was played by Sean Connery's son which I always thought ironic!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's a great show, I believe it is based on the Book George Washingtons Seceret Six. Very good read, glad that I read the book and am enjoying the TV series.
The Old Cajun
Author? I'd love to read this one!

Aug 14, 2012
I used to smoke clays when I was a teenager and didn't have the funds for enough briars. They cost about 25 cents back then. It is a great smoke once it is well broken in and darkened. Until then it tastes like clay. The problem is that most of them broke before they got broken in. That might be where the idea of breaking off the stem came from. If you put the pipe down on a table carelessly the end breaks off the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.