PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Ok. This may have been covered here deep in the archives but I'm struggling to find it...

So Einstein like Peterson

Shelby Foote and Faulkner were Dunhill men

CS Lewis liked Comoy's and I hear that Tolkien liked Comoy, Parker, and Dunhill but I can't remember where I heard that...

What did other famous pipe smokers fancy as pipes? I can find info on blends generally but not their pipes...

I'd be especially interested if someone could find out what Theologian Karl Barth had.

Any help?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I won't be much good here, but didn't Ginger Baker smoke Falcons?
I'd like to know what kind of pipes Millicent Fenwick smoked ... :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard that that guy Duane Cartmill was nuts for Bruce Weaver pieces, but I caught him smoking a Preben Holm!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I was going to mention William Conrad being a Charatan enthusiast ... but you guys are incorrigible. :lol:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the only photo I found of John Muir with one of his pipes. Not certain there's enough detail in the picture to ID the pipe. I can't.
john-muir-with-pipe-480x600.jpg

May 31, 2012
"... and Faulkner were Dunhill men."
This is one of the problems with these things I think, the pigeonhole can be roughly on target of course but it also doesn't really tell the whole story --- most pipemen have a variety of pipes from different brands, just like most of us do. Yes, Faulkner is known to have smoked Dunhills as many pictures indicate, but I think it was the case that he smoked British pipes in general, one account of a young man at the U. of Miss. in the late 50's hung out with him and recounts that he never saw Faulkner smoking a Dunhill, but only Comoy's.
Likewise, he weren't afeared of "lesser" brands either,

here's a Digby that he owned:

http://www.pbagalleries.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/47/lot/10679/Tobacco-pipe-owned-and-smoked-by-William-Faulkner
The pictured pipe in this article doesn't appear to have a White Spot,

and it appears very much loved:

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/news/southernwriters.cfm#.V0s8SJErLIW
Same with his specific tobacco of choice, you can't really pin it down, he liked: Dunhill 965 and My Mixture A10528, Balkan Sobranie, St. Bruno, Prince Albert...and even home-blending as stated here:
W.F. claimed that his favorite tobacco was "blended for me by Dunhill in London when I was about 19 or 20 years old and I've been smoking it ever since" - John Falkner points out that "Bill liked variety in his pipe tobacco. He would blend it differently at times to get a new taste and every time he would go into a pipe shop he'd buy several selections of ready-mixed tobacco. He would smoke from one can and then another, like a man trying different foods at each meal."
))click here for link to the book((
His favorite typewriters:

Royal KHM

Remington Noiseless desktop

1930s Underwood portable
A favorite quote of mine...
“...I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire...I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.”
― William Faulkner

The Sound and the Fury

May 31, 2012
He was one of us!
I think he was!
btw

I got my quotes mixed up, this is the one that references his home-blending...
..In his masterful two-volume work on Faulkner biographer Joseph Blotner wrote: “. . . He had placed his first order for pipe-tobacco mixture A10528 with the Manhattan store of Alfred Dunhill of London. Originally made up for an old customer, this blend had caught on by word of mouth until it had become one of Dunhill’s popular standard mixtures. To a burley foundation were added Turkish and Latakia for the flavor base; when finished it was a blend of thirteen different tobaccos which sold for six dollars a pound. Faulkner would use other tobaccos, sometimes blending a mixture himself, but for the rest of his life the Dunhill blend would be his staple. One of his friends, entering a room that Faulkner had left, claimed that could tell Faulkner had been there by the strong, rich, heavy aroma.”"

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
To a burley foundation were added Turkish and Latakia for the flavor base; when finished it was a blend of thirteen different tobaccos which sold for six dollars a pound.
Sounds like something C&D or H&H would be all over...

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Not really famous, but China had an early 20th Century author who was very proud of his pipe collection. Lin Yu Tang wrote quite a few books about Chinese culture for a "western" audience. He is often seen in pictures with pipes in hand or nearby. His name on a google search will pull up many pictures of him. As for what pipes they were, I jave no idea. I think anything british would make sense because of the opium wars and foreign occupation during that time period.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Read in "Tang Lusun" book, Lin Yutang smokes a Dunhill pipe with capstan tobacco. Not sure if that is correct.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Cut from original text.
林大師是抽煙斗的,一瞧筆者也是煙斗同志,用的是鄧赫爾牌煙斗,抽的是開浦登煙絲,煙斗煙絲彼此都是不謀而合,也就是抽煙斗的資格,也不相上下。

Status
Not open for further replies.