PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why is it possible to get a birth year Dunhill but not a birth year Chacom, Nording, Dr. Grabow, Savenelli, etc. etc. In fact, why couldn't pipes in general be stamped with just a bit more information. I'd like brand, city or town and nation of production, year of production, and artisan as appropriate unless that's the name of the pipe anyway. Even Dunhill makes you decode a number, which is okay but kind of silly. Many artisans and a number of manufacturers do this already, like Luciano. But most don't. I know I've made this case before, and I probably will again. I just think that the interest and history of pipes is better served with some information rather than a blanket of obscurity that we unravel at the expense of much time and often continued skepticism.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That would be a good idea.....at least some of the info is needed.
In my line of work (Fire investigator) I sift through debris (think Where's Waldo) looking for information. I'd love to see everything manufactured have a stainless steel tag embedded in it to aid identification after a fire. Currently everything is BBS (burned black shit).
I won't see those changes either.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I agree with you mso. Some day I will forget when I bought my pipes. I also agree with you woods, soon they will all be stamped : SMOKING IS DANGEROUS FOR YOUR HEALTH. And the meerschaum pipes will be carved into rotting lungs and guys with teeth missing....ugh.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh, ugh, groan, no to the regulation of stamping. The beauty of Luciano is that they came to this themselves. My go-to home-state carver etches his name and the year into his pipes. That's why I'm talking to the pipe people. This is grassroots or tobacco roots only. I'm very attached to my pipes and would like to know a little more about most of them.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
MSO, I fully agree with you. I would love to have easily accessible information on the manufacturing date, location, etc of a pipe in the form of a stamp. For example, I have a Chacom Royale 364P that I bought 3 or 4 years ago. The shop owner gave me quite the story to accompany the pipe. Talking about the age of briar and rarity of the shape. I had fallen I love with the pipe already, so the story wasn't the determining factory in the sale, but it definitely helped.
Well, recently this beauty appeared on SP.com, for a much lower price than I paid.
004-003-2665.jpg

This pipe is clearly older than my pipe, and I would love to know the actual story behind the two of them. Unfortunately, I will only get ideas and speculations as there is no real way of knowing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Jobey billiard with a screw-on stem (spot carving, double-thin-bands, extra design shaping on the stem), and the stem is stamped France. But because of the sourcing, my pipe shop owner who sold it to me said he though the briar might have been from when Jobey was, for a short time, in the U.S.A. (They went from France, to England, to U.S., to France!) It is fun to chase the histories of pipes, but some solid clues would be fun too. And why not a birthdate Nording? At least in some future day.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I too would like to see at least a date added to the nomenclature of the pipe. It would be nice to know when the pipe was actually made. Like my WDC pipes that are possibly from the early 1900's - 1920's.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Money talks. I'm sure your fave production house or artesian can swing for laser etching for a cost. Previous to modern right now, I imagine the costs for such were not right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like low-tech stamps. Higher tech platforms change all the time and much info is lost. Stamping is like a tombstone or monument, forever. I don't even like the pipe of the year metal plates; they spoil the flow of the design for me, look like license plates. Even the little etched info by my go-to carver is better than no info at all.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I'd like brand, city or town and nation of production,..."
Sadly that wouldn't be as useful as you would think. Dunghill for example stamp their Italian made pipes as made in England.
I have four new pipes here that are stamped 'Made In England' but when I spoke to the proprietor of the business recently he admitted to me they were actually turned in Spain, only 'finished' in England! Not quite the same thing.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, knock on wood, I haven't lost pipes nor had a house fire. I think you're confusing me with another member? Ashdigger is a fire reclamation pro, but I don't think he's suffered a house fire, or not lately. I do recommend fire extinguishers all around, but that's my "safety officer" instinct (never really been one).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I agree with you mso. Some day I will forget when I bought my pipes. I also agree with you woods, soon they will all be stamped : SMOKING IS DANGEROUS FOR YOUR HEALTH.
Too true. I'd prefer the simpler "SMOKING KILLS"
And for pipes group five or bigger, "SMOKING KILLS YOU AND EVERYONE AROUND YOU".

Status
Not open for further replies.