Pipes Magazine Rates JackKnife Ready Rubbed a 93! (Or 4.5 stars)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
It's on my list together with his Cumberland. But it's not in my shopping cart (yet). Wonder if I should trade it something out.
So many baccy's, so little time ;-)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The flavor of JK is amazing. You just have to be a little careful in the nicotine dept. Dark fired Kentucky packs a punch, but it is also quite delicious, and gives JackKnife its unique flavor. If you're not used to nicotine heavy pipe tobacco, smoke it slow and you should be ok.
For contrast and comparison, here is my review of the original incarnation:
G. L. Pease JackKnife Plug Tobacco Review
@zanthal

I've never tried Mr Pease's blends ... are they all the "full-bodied" type?
Well then, you are missing out on some amazing tobacco. The G.L. Pease line has several different styles of blends.
Tell me what you usually smoke and maybe we can make some suggestions.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
What a fantastic review. I've yet to see quite as many taste tempting descriptions regarding tobacco. Romeowood is a very talented connoisseur with a palate that far exceeds my own and makes it imperative for me to get out and order some of this blend. Can't wait to try some. Thanks for the enjoyable reading.

:clap:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I'll look into it myself ... bitter or bland are my main yucks though, anything else I will smoke.
And yes I should say, it was a very thorough and informative review ... just the way they ought to be.
@docwatson that is a cool quote :puffy:
when I hear about a new line of tobacco I look into it and usually try out the best-selling ones. That's what drew my eye to Odyssey (and the fact that it's Latakia based which I've liked in the past)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Zanthal, I like JackKnife a lot, and I love: Maltese Falcon, Lagonda, Westminster and Quiet Nights. All of those have Latakia, but they are all very different from one another, while all tasting amazing.
I haven't had Odyssey, but I have heard it very good too.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I've had both plug and ready rubbed and I think I liked the flavor of the plug better. Although that may have been because I had plug first and it was my first Kentucky. You can't go wrong with either IMHO. Actually, I have nothing bad to say about any of the GLP blends I've tried. The man knows his craft.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Kevin said: If you're not used to nicotine heavy pipe tobacco, smoke it slow and you should be ok.
Not sure I agree with this unless, by, "...smoke it slow" you mean put it down and walk away fro it for half an hour or so. I've never had a blend sucker punch me so hard with the Vitamin-N. Granted, I'm a lightweight, but still....
-Jason

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Hmm.. the high vitamin N is pushing me over the edge. Trading out the Stratford. That now makes 5 GL Pease blends in my next TAD :rofl:
(Haddo's delight, Embarcadero, Union Square, Fillmore and now JKP)

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I've never tried Mr Pease's blends ... are they all the "full-bodied" type?

I'll look into it myself ... bitter or bland are my main yucks though, anything else I will smoke.
Not all the GLP blends are full-bodied in terms of strength, Zanthal, in fact some are quite reserved and subtle. None are bitter or bland by a long shot.

I would say the JackKnives are definitely in the stronger end of the spectrum of all of his blends. And I hope the review didn't come off as fawning, I just really love the stuff! It's one of those tobaccos that has you reaching to refill the bowl as soon as you're done with one (that is, if you're not passed out on the floor :mrgreen: ).
I'm also curious what you all think of the 100-point rating approach. I think it allows a lot more nuance to be gauged into the scoring; the caveat is that it may be confusing or difficult to relate because it isn't employed with pipe tobacco generally (erm...I may be the first to try it, actually). I'd love your opinions on that--yea, nay or otherwise.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I think you're expanding our knowledge and bringing a more definitive approach to evaluating tobaccos. It's great.

Personally the only rating I'm interested in is the last one which counts for 50 points. Flavor and aroma. But the other ratings definitely add to the interest and marketing of a blend. Thanks for all your thought and time that goes into your reviews.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I just got some jackknife plug as well as some ready rub in the other day, looking forward to trying it

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
@flyfishn -- I totally agree, though for fullness of flavor I'd even put it ahead of the ropes (at least the ones ive tried)
Personally the only rating I'm interested in is the last one which counts for 50 points. Flavor and aroma. But the other ratings definitely add to the interest and marketing of a blend.
While any review is going to be completely subjective, my hope is that the 100-point scale would differentiate between “mm, that’s good” and “wow, that’s good”; it’s all a matter of degrees. Also, the scale is comprised of three components of the overall experience--the presentation, draw & burn, and flavor & aroma--that are, at least to me, important and overlooked aspects of most pipe tobacco reviews. I started writing my own when I became frustrated with going to review sites to check out a tobacco and finding that 95% are rated 3 stars, and that most of the 3-sentence reviews were vague at best (and I'm being quite generous there). Thankfully this magazine has made it a point to have thorough and attentive review articles since its inception--Kevin's, Bob's and Adam's reviews are among my favorite reading on the site.
And yes, the more I look at it, I do seem rather doe-eyed about this JK Ready Rubbed. In my defense, it's really that good. Damn good. When the plug came out, I tasted it, bought ten tins, tasted it again, then a dozen more. I'm down to 5 in the cellar now; I smoke this merrily and often, it's obviously one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.