PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I recieved a notification for Chris Morgan's new line of pipes. Apparently they are made from Arbutus, which happens to be plentiful where I live. I have never heard of Pipes being made from this wood. Does anyone have a pipe made from Arbutus? How does it smoke compared to Briar, or other woods?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't know that one. Besides briar, cob, and clay, I have Mountain Laurel and Cocobolo, and was considering a maple. Maybe I'll Google Arbutus and learn a little about it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, Strawberry wood. Now I'm on the same page. This seems to be a successful tobacco pipe material. I hear mostly good about it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I bought a strawberry wood pipe from Clark Layton last year. It's a beautiful pipe and smokes like a dream. It is also a very light weight wood so if you're a clencher it should work well for you.
auvPdwu.jpg

Reactions: Steeeve

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I don't know much about Morgan or his pipes, but unless he's a pretentious ass he probably referred to the wood as Arbutus to draw a distinction between the well known Strawberry wood and it's lesser known family member Madrone. I would guess his pipes are made from the latter.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I bought a strawberry wood pipe from Clark Layton last year
Sorry to rabbit trail the thread, but that is a GORGEOUS pipe. Clark is a true artist.
Becker makes a lot of pipes out of strawberry wood too, doesn't he?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bruce Weaver has made a couple of strawberry pipes. That stuff blasts beautifully!

Status
Not open for further replies.