PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Found this and thought I would put it up. The Hunley is ready to see.
One of the crew smoked a pipe and the article about Lumpkin is quite revealing.

"Lumpkin was an avid smoker and had worn notches in his teeth where he cradled his pipe. Out of habit, he even carried his pipe onboard the Hunley, though he would not have been able to smoke inside."

WHOLE ARTICLE
HUNLEY
tobaccopipe.jpg

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I always enjoy history and archeology. This one regarding the Hunley's Brother of the Briar is no exception, great read.

Hmmm, prolly not briar? Clay? Regardless the refurb on that one is gonna' take more than just an OxyClean soak and Micro-Mesh! O-:

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
You know I would bet he smoked clays. It says he wore down his teeth clamping. I can't think of anything but clay that would do that.
Hmmm, maybe some research is in order. i will let you know.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
That was very interesting. I do like to read about Civil War history. Thanks for sharing it. :puffy:

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
Pipeinhand, I would think that maybe an old bone bit could do that. I have an old WDC with a horn stem and it is very soft in the mouth... An old cob, that I received from lonestar, has a bone bit and it is like a rock. I can't even make myself clamp down on it with my teeth.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Thank you for posting. I've always been interested in history, especially the American Civil War.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here is a pic of Confederate General Albert Pike. He was a controversial figure then and still is today. He's the only Confederate officer to have an outdoor statue in DC. Also in DC, in the Scottish Rite's House of the Temple, there is a museum dedicated to him, which holds some of his reputedly large pipe collection. His book "Morals and Dogma" which was influential in the orginasation of Scottish Rite Freemasonry is still the subject of controversy and largely misunderstood.
albert_pike_pipe_f.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm a 32° too. There is some Albert Pike memorabilia at the Scottish Rite Cathedral here in Dallas. The Cathedral is really something to see. It has been used in television and movies, even doubling as the White House for TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.