PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I live in the mid-South, so this is a theoretical question, to a degree. Is there any temperature

in North America that represents a problem for briar or stem materials, or any other pipe

materials, left in a car overnight? I grew up in the Chicago area, so I have known some cold.

Wintered over in Milwaukee one year, even a little further north.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a pipe that I left in the car overnight, multiple nights in fact, during the coldest winter I've ever experienced here in the mid-west. We had temperatures some days of -15 F and I didn't notice any damage to pipe or stem (vulcanite).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never considered it a problem up here (Anchorage, AK). Of course when I get in the car in cold temps I let it warm up, my pipe is in my hand (warming) as I load it, then the lights and the smoke. So it's not as though it goes from -30 to high heat in an instant.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I've wondered about this myself. I think Warren's answer from Anchorage is pretty definitive for me. Thanks Warren - I'll smoke on without any fears.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, Alaska would pretty much settle the case. As with cameras, it's probably better to keep a pipe

in an inside pocket (or under your coat with cameras). But pipes don't have moving parts (mostly) so

should be more durable. Thanks for the report from "true north."

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I would think the only real danger is if the pipe is very cold and you fire it right up. The extreme temp change might cause a pipe to crack. But I wouldn't think the temp itself on a pipe just sitting there would matter.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Using a pipe in a car during the winter, no issues. However, I would not recommend leaving the pipe in the car if it isn't running. I accidentally left my pipe in my car while I was at work, when I picked it up the bowl separated from the stem and fell to the floor. Once I got the pipe back into the warmth the problem fixed it's self. Nonetheless, I would not recommend leaving your pipe in the car during cold or hot weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.