PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
now that's an interesting looking pipe..it's really refreshing to see something a bit different from the norm. How well does it smoke though?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Just be careful... some woods can be toxic. There's a list around here somewhere listing the do's and don'ts.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
@bigvan
i was also wondering whether some woods might impart a flavour to the tobacco; e.g. apple wood, which always smells so fantastic when it burns (not toxic to my knowledge either) or pine which would surely have an aroma and flavour when smoked

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Good point, Scotrob. The pine looks a tad green also... without curing you'll end up with a mouthful of sap! But I get the impression that this was more of an exercise by Aaronbear to make "costume pipes" rather than real smoking instruments.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
get the impression that this was more of an exercise by Aaronbear to make "costume pipes" rather than real smoking instruments.
Yes. It's a noble exercise, but I don't think they would be very enjoyable smoking instruments.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Those are sweet! I like the look of a couple of those more than the macqueen ones. Nice job let us know how they smoke!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I would like to know, aaronbear, how you drilled the stems. Doesn't look easy.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for all your comments guys. I will take on board about toxic wood, the pipes I've made so far smoke great. I'm sure at some point I'll make a duff one that will be a disappointing smoke. It's just enjoyable carving them too, liberating a pipe from a piece of wood discarded by nature is satisfying. I don't have a plan I just go where the wood takes me. Bigvan and frennchy11 as for the drilled stems I have some 200mm drill bits I use. I put the naturally bent wood stems carefully in a vice and gently tighten to take out bend then drill them, then release the vice and stem springs back to its original shape or i will drill a straight stem and then steam bend it. I know some of you guys are true traditionalists in the pipe world and my pipes may not appeal which I do understand, perhaps I'm harking back to the primitive times when man had no knowledge of briar, the properties of it, he just used what he had to hand to fashion a smoking device .
*edit* - Tweaked your punctuation for clarity. -Jason

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I love them. I would gladly pay you for the Wilderness Pipe or the Wizard Pipe.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Yes, the wood will tell you what to do.

That is thinking way out of the box. Those are outstanding

creations. I also use wood that's as green as they get. I have a pecan

Tree that i wan to make a pipe from a branch.

What did you seal the bottom with?

Joe

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Pretty cool looking pipes!

Whether or not it smoked I'd still add it to my collection due purely to the fact that it is unique.

Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.