PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
it has a 99.8% satisfactory rating. a lot of these pipes look beautiful and are hand carved from the ukraine. Has anyone ever bought any from this store, here is the link

http://stores.ebay.com/Favourite-Ukraine/Smoking-Pipes-/_i.html?_fsub=21494910

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I have one its a decent beater, smokes alright. I think I gave $25 for it and for the money its good for yard work, camping, splitting wood and whatever else. I was on their web page last night trying to decide if I wanted to buy this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Modern-Elegant-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Pipes-Ball-1-NEW-/261134399203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cccd2b6e3 :puffy:

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I bought one two months ago, got it for seven bucks, and has become my best smoker. I originally bought it to bring on the boat when I'm Fluke/Striper/Shark fishing so if I lost it I wouldn't be heartbroken...now I think I might be!
My father bought the carved type with the anchor on it, and similarly, its become his go-to pipe now as well.
The pear wood needs a few smokes before the taste is gone, but after that, its great. The only problem I had with mine was that when the draft hole was drilled, it was pushed too far, crossed the bowl, and drilled the opposite side a bit. I just filled it with some pipe mud, and now I don't give it a second thought.
Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't checked out these links yet, but when I've shopped Ukraine pipes before, they've

look a little souvenir-like, as if they were made to sell but not necessarily to smoke. I'm

interested to hear the good reports, and now I will have to reconsider. I am so attached to

briar, and the idea of briar, that I am reluctant to venture elsewhere. There are those nice

rosewood pipes, at Cup O Joes, that are in traditional shapes and look very workmanlike,

and only $20 with stand, and many other examples. Some of our newbies smokers could

be directed to these, if they prove to be good smokers.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I bought the "New Modern Elegant Tobacco Smoking Pipe/Pipes *Ball*," which back when I purchased it was called the "dot". Decent smoker, small bowl, very heavy in the mouth and hand.
I'd say these pipes are good values overall.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
These same pipes from the Ukraine are sold by a variety of retailers - notably also "Ukrainian Souvenir" on Amazon and "Fashion Pipes" on Etsy. I think they are produced by a variety of pipe makers under the umbrella of the "Gold Gate Pipes" factory in Kiev, Ukraine. I haven't been able to figure out if it is actually Golden Gate that is making them or they are simply sourcing from a bunch of independent makers and acting as the distributor to the sellers.
Anyway, I wrote a much longer post about it HERE, if you are interested.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Unrelated to my previous post, but more directed to the OP,
I own one of these Ukrainian pipes, a full bent volcano style, and I quite like it! The thin, but deep chamber makes it quite the flake smoker.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
@ 4dotsasieni, I was looking at the pipe that you said you have, and you said it had a "small bowl", how small??? I really like the shape and look of it but I don't want a 5 minute smoke, I want something that will last for a bit. :puffy:

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
"@ 4dotsasieni, I was looking at the pipe that you said you have, and you said it had a "small bowl", how small??? I really like the shape and look of it but I don't want a 5 minute smoke, I want something that will last for a bit."
It's not all that small, just small relative to the size and weight of the pipe - mostly due to the thick walls, which is probably a good thing. It'll give you a 45-minute smoke, if you're not a heavy puffer.

Jan 8, 2013
Had two of them, both broke. On one the shank split lengthwise. As far as how they smoke? Well, they smoke pretty good. They were the first pipes I bought and regularly got 45 minute to an hour smokes with them, with no relights. Personally, I don't think I'll buy another one. But they are quite nice looking.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
thanks you guys I recently just today got hired, and will be buying a few pipes with my paycheck, one I really want though is the officially licensed gandalf pipe from lotrfanshop

Status
Not open for further replies.