PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathfinder

Lurker
Dec 7, 2012
FOB Shank, Afghanistan
Ladies and Gents,
I'm new here―if you haven't already gathered by my hideously low post rate numbers―but nonetheless I have a question, or a request if you will. But first, I believe it customary to introduce myself―outside of the atypical "Introduction Posting Area" where I have already thrown a word or two on the whiteboard. My name is Josh Gordon, I was born and raised in Florida state and received my first pipe from my great grandfather on my 18th birthday. Many good memories follow in our old past time of smoking the pipes and playing chess. I carried a pipe with me when I joined the Army, and it still follows with me now, where ever I go.
My question and or request is to see if anyone out there is able to find a company that might send some care packages that support Pipe and Pipe Tobacco. I've tried reaching out to various companies, but I do believe they are ignoring me, I can't blame them, they have businesses not charities. But last tour I believe it was a large company that sent my Scout Platoon a box, the box was full of random pipes, and all sorts of pipe tobacco. This company continued this process on until we RIPTO'ed (Were relieved in place) and they kept it coming. We we're able to just about give a pipe out to every Soldier on our COP (Combat Outpost), and sent back a picture during the winter of our COP smoking (Due to all the pipes being lit up).
Like I've stated before, I've tried reaching out to all the "Main" companies, but I haven't received a reply―and it's been almost a week since. My unique position this tour leaves me at a great advantage. I am an Infantry Airborne Pathfinder with the 101st Pathfinder Company attached to an Aviation Battalion in order to support LZ/PZ/DZ (Landing Zone/Pickup Zone/Drop Zone)Control and Selection, Sling Load Ops and PR (Personnel Recovery). In the Pathfinder company we do our share of hoping around to visit/help at other FOB's what ever the mission may be. I can name two COP's where we frequently travel to in order to stage out of. My thinking is that if we receive a large influx of care packages like this, I can sling them out, or redistribute them to neighboring FOBs/COPs in our AOR (Area of Responsibility) and seeing that 90% of these places contain Infantry just like me, there will be no opposition, a huge smile and many grateful pictures to follow.
As I said, this is more of a request. If anyone knows any details, or thinks this to be a viable option, let me know and I'll work with this community to build something that we all can be proud of. All materials would be shipped out to my Company's APO address, from there we would direct, work out and redistribute the Pipes and Tobacco out, just in time for the winter season here in Afghanistan. If you have any questions and or wish to verify information, or check the validity of this request―send me a PM and we'll exchange contact information. Thank you all so much and I hope to make something out of this!
Very Respectfully,

J. Gordon​

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Wow, it sounds like you are wanting a large quantity and as most pipe companies and retailers tend to be small in comparisan to other companies and most are owned by individuals that really can't undertake a large shipment to you. I donate pipes when I can but it is usually a dozen at a time. I am a veteran and I support our troops. The largest company for tobacco that I know is very generous is Altadis. I would try them. As far as pipes, you might try SM Frank which makes drug store pipes and might be able to supply you some. Good luck sir and thanks for serving your country!

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I really wish I could help, but I'm just your average Joe. I love your request, and the best thing i can offer, is to tell you to keep trying.

Thank you for your service.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
How much do you need , maybee I can help . I have prob. 50 cobbs I could donate . I also could throw in a couple of lbs of baccy .

Jul 12, 2011
Idea~I will contact MM and let them know we brothers of briar

would like to send some care packages to our honored warfighters;

Get them to perhaps agree on a bulk-order price for us and then I

will do my TheSmokinDragon "Splash of Color" customs to them

and send off to Pathfinder for shipping out...I will contact MM

1st thing tomorrow morning with the proposal and keep you all posted
just drop a post here to let us know you like the idea and would

like to donate whatever you can to the package

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I was also going to suggest Missouri Meerschaum, perhaps they would be willing to ship out some Grab Bags of Smokable Seconds. I just received my order of them yesterday. IMHO cobs are the best smoking pipe.

Jul 12, 2011
I contacted one of my pipe material distributors to see if they

could give us bulk pricing on stems so along with the Spalsh

of color customs I would also upgrade all the stems for cobs

being built...

pathfinder

Lurker
Dec 7, 2012
FOB Shank, Afghanistan
Thank you all for the support and the insight, I will also try and contact some of the companies mentioned. I have been sending out emails left and right, but I do understand the "Size" of the Pipe community is substantially smaller then say the Cigar, Dip, or Cigarette communities.
Please understand also, I'm not aiming for a "Large" ammount, just something to throw out to the guys, build some spirits and introduce to them something they don't see very often; a collective effort to support them. I kind of want to show them (Speaking about the newer Soldier's also) the support that has been shown to those of us who have been around for a while.
They've seen candy boxes, snacks and a few cards, but I believe something like this will help them understand the view the public has for them, and how they percieve American support in the future. I know when it happened for me, it changed my views and made an immense impact on my morale. Thanks again guys!
- Gordon
EDIT:

I've got our mail room to agree to set aside packages designated with the "Pipes for Troops". If any donations are sent out please inform me so I can expect it, prepare and send back some pictures for you!
ATTN: Pipes for Troops

Gordon, Joshua

Pathfinders, TF Eagle Assault (5-101)

FOB Shank

APO AE 09364

Jul 12, 2011
Ok, I heard back from MM, they can do some nice bulk pricig for

us on a case ...I'm thinking the Diplomat , since it is hardwood bottom

and would give them longer life/harder smoking...there are 240-pipes

in a case for $856.00, so depending on how many members are in

on it we could bring to as little as say $5-10/ea per donation.. I have no problem

taking on the payment/order processing and once received will hit

each of the 240 pipes w/splash of color and (currently still working

with material supplier on stems upgrades as well...) and then sending

off to pathfinder for distribution...I think a very good deal and time

donation to our beloved US Troops who protect our way of life &

Freedom
I will start a spreadsheet and start counting the #s of folks interested

so we can come up with the per donation #s... Let me know what you

think brother and sisters
-TheSmokinDragon

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Way to go SD ! :clap:
So now that we have a plan for pipes, how about tobacco ?
Joshua "Patfinder": can we send tobacco ?
If we each give a tin or two. Or a couple of ounces of bulk, we should be hitting several Lbs. pretty darn quick. We do it for the box, so we should be able to do it for these guys.
If so, who's up for collecting and sending on the tobacco to Pathfinder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.