PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Ladies and Gentlemen,
My wife is considering starting smoking pipe she has no idea on the type of pipes she wants. I am thinking about pipes similur to the Peterson 313 or 317 with a stright stem.
Can you point me to pipes that she would like?
Thanks
John

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Can you point me to pipes that she would like?
Let her point out the pipe she would like. Let her pick out the tobacco she would like to try.
If you don't order her meal for her at a restaurant, don't pick out a pipe or tobacco for her, for the same reason.
For example, men who pick out a self protection pistol for "the little women", or sleep wear that they "know" she would love, almost always get it wrong, and both for the same reason.
Its called "personal preference".

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have several pipes on "standby" for when my wife decides to join me. She tends to like the smaller bowled pipes with a gently bent stem. Something like a Prince shape with a longer stem seems to suit her.
Why don't you have her Google something "pipes for women" or "Feminine tobacco pipes" and see if she likes anything?
Forum member Road Queen made this interesting post last year: Cob Snob Pipes

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
thanks for the info. tried to go to the Cob Snob site, Did they change their url?
jOHN

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
This might work?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=151436

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
thanks for the info. tried to go to the Cob Snob site, Did they change their url?
Cob Snob had some manufacturing issues that they could not resolve. Great concept, and nice folks, but the coating cracks over time. I still have my two, and I still smoke them, but you can't get them anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Please don't fail to look at the Ewa line at Iwan Ries (iwanries.com), on of the Forum's sponsors.

I especially recommend the green churchwarden, or if you want a slightly shorter pipes, they

have them in other colors. These are Group 2, small pipes, but give a fine smoke. The green

one, to my embarrassment, is actually stamped "Lady's," but it's a good smoker. I think one of

these would be an ideal starter for your wife. And they are only $35, but good French pipes from

St. Claude, not makeshift cheapies at all.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I agree that meers are also awesome, but that can be a pretty penny and they are easily damaged compared to a briar. Why not just let he try a cob and if she likes it move on from there... Unless she's like my mother who won't do anything unless it suits her sense of fashion. I love her, but she wouldn't wear socks if it meant not losing her toes if they didn't match her outfit.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
+1 Zekest
There is a lot to be said about personal preference and the ability to have a proper choice. She's going to feel so much more connected to a pipe that she picks whether it be a great smoker or kind of a turd.
I was tempted to recommend a cob too just because of the price, but I think that because we are such visual creatures that if she simply doesn't like the look of a cob it could color her experience in a negative light. While function is certainly the most important thing, style is also important and it should be left up to her.
I would open up some websites of reputable makers and let her browse on her own. Stay close by and I'm sure she'll call you over to ask questions or express her interest in specific shapes.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
UPDATE:
To day we were out and about, we stopped in a couple of smoke shops she found a small meer she likes and she decided on one of those Pippa packages. The meer was $20.00 and the Pippa was $10.00. She also found at the B&M a tobacco she likes.
Now the fun starts, helping her though the learning process. While we were shopping she informed me the briars bowls were to large. they were type 3 and 4. I will try to get the meer from and get some Pics.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.