PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I thought I read in the past that there was someone who sends pipes and tobacco to active duty members? Can someone point me in their direction? I have quite a few pipes that I would like to donate to them. If they have any paperwork/flyers I can post it at the Veterans Hall too. Thanks...

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Id like to accompany each one with a book as well...I would have appreciated that.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
Might add that there are some good wounded warrior programs in most areas, too.
I was driving into my little airport a couple of months ago and watched 3 guys in the airport utility cart chasing a naked man running with a half a bottle of Jim Beam down the runway @ 11am (2nd bottle, it turned out). The guy is a 20 yr recon Marine sergeant, only a few shrapnel scars on his torso, but he's completely scrambled from the neck up. A really good, intelligent man who is still fighting and right on the edge of control.
Tobacco itself can't help him, but it was a way to engage with him, for a start. He has a decent B&M no name pipe and was smoking some awful aromatic. I got him a tub of Westminster and Union Square (which he likes a lot) last month just to open contact, communicate and get his eyes on the horizon for a moment. No worries about "tobacco health issues" as I'd say the odds are 50/50 he will kill himself. In the last year, he's lost 2 of his last platoon to suicide and he takes that hardest.
I've never lived with military folk and now am immersed in the culture, living in north county San Diego. I can't believe how screwed up it is. These guys are wrecks.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Member Dave Shain goes by "shaintiques" on the forum accepts pipes and tobacco that he will send to veterans and active military. You can send him a PM for his address.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About a year ago, a military chaplain on his way to the big air base in Afghanistan offered to accept pipes and tobacco for active duty people there. I sent pipes and tobacco. I believe he finished his tour and is back stateside. He might get back in touch with a referral on someone else doing this. I was interested that, in order to send to an APO (Army post office) address overseas, I had to fill out a customs form.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Jim Mitchem is one. He's a Chaplain and travels between Afgan and Iraq. Pipes are appreciated. But what the troops want is Tobacco of any variety.
jjmitchem@gmail.com

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
No one spends time in a conflict zone and returns unharmed, even if it doesn't show.

Thank you for supporting your vet's!

Reactions: Derby

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Shoot, the thread was in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. This morning I was deleting old posts, and looking only at the last date, not the title. I think that I deleted it....Shaintiques is the member who set this up. I'll see if I can undelete it.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
If anyone has any tobaccos they aren’t found of, I could always take some for my coworkers to try

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're going to cull, and you don't need money or trade out of particular pipes or blends, this is definitely the thing to do. I find if satisfying, feel like someone is getting real benefit out of it. When one of my aunts sent me a box of books on my minesweeper, it was like gold. A few that didn't appeal to me immediately, I put in the ship's library (a little closet on the mess decks).

Status
Not open for further replies.