PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I start my week with 7 or 8 pipes, cleaned and ready to work. There is always 1 pipe that for some reason just doesn't make the grade so at the end of the week, it gets rotated out of the group and a different pipe get subbed in. Then a month or so later, it finds it way back into the group and smokes fine. Why? What changes? Sometimes it takes months before a pipe falls off so to speak.

Why? What changes?

Well, that depends on a few things that you didn't mention, like... what specific reason did the pipe fall out of favor? I have some that I will set aside for the next day, and then I realize that it was a brown sandblasted pipe, and I was going to be wearing black leather shoes that day, so it gets racked, and I pull out a smooth black pipe. Or, the pipes dedicated blend just doesn't appeal to me for that day. Or, the pipe stinks... :puffy:

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
So many reasons. For me I don’t pick out pipes for the day or week, it is usually spur of the moment. When I leave for work I grab two pipes and two blends.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I tend to have a group of pipes I put in my "pipe bag" for the week. They fall out of favor because for some reason that I can't put my finger on, they just don't seem to smoke as good as they usually do. The draw is not quite right, the taste seems off, etc. if you've experienced it you understand what I mean. Like I have a cob that smokes everything I throw at it great. Then for some unknown reason, it just doesn't hit the mark. Cosmic, I always try to coordinate my pipes with my shirt. I haven't thought to check my shoes. Maybe that's the issue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other than the draw not being open enough, or not being able to pass a pipe cleaner, all pipes smoke the same to me. Possibly a ghost or packing issue?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
What changes?
You
I have the same thing sometimes. I pick out a pipe for a smoke, go through the usual procedures and for some reason the smoke is not as satisfying as it usually is. Its not bad at all, but not stunning.
I think it's mostly to do with mood, anticipation or something else subconscious. Having said that I wonder if that not great smoke happens because of a lingering taste of something I've eaten or drank, maybe I'm hungry or full...who knows? It just happens sometimes.

I have a small Savinelli Piuma dublin that has such a narrow draft that somedays it makes a Virginia really sing, and othertimes I end up with a singed tongue and get hardly any taste. I have another Sav Piuma pipe almost just like it except for exterior color, but it always makes a blend sing. There's just some things that can't be completely explained away, magical mojo/voodoo things, involved in pipe smoking. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With lots of pipes, I get picky and spoiled. Most are excellent, up and down the price range. Some are never just right.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Having said that I wonder if that not great smoke happens because of a lingering taste of something I've eaten or drank, maybe I'm hungry or full...who knows? It just happens sometimes.
What Bassbug said. As a sidenote, the other day I had a very pleasant smoke and was enjoying the aftertaste, and then I ate a piece of pineapple (which had heretofore been a very tasty one). Suddenly it was like I'd taken a truck ashtray crammed with cigarette butts and dumped the contents in my mouth. It was surprising and very unpleasant. Chocolate helped neutralize the taste. Chemical reaction between tobacco & pineapple?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Matching a pipe with shoes.... I remember seeing online a sweet meerschaum that would go great with my crocs!
But I believe pipes act like living entity's. Sometimes they just want to fight you about something, and sometimes they will agree with everything you say.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Coordinating my pipe to my clothes? Pipes as a fashion statement? Hmm. That's a new idea for me. I have several cobs that I enjoy. What goes with a cob?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have a modest collection of a little over 40 briars and 10 or so cobs. My first thought is always the tobacco I want to smoke. That takes about 5 seconds or less. Then I look to grab a pipe dedicated to that blend. That's usually another 5 seconds. I try to save my brain power for thinking and decisions that demand it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Coordinating my pipe to my clothes? Pipes as a fashion statement? Hmm. That's a new idea for me. I have several cobs that I enjoy. What goes with a cob?
Perhaps a plaid shirt, coveralls, and good leather boots? Or a three piece Savile Row dark herringbone suit, black wingtips and a club tie? In other words, anything at all.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
About the pineapple, which contains bromlain a digestive enzyme. Enough of it actually starts to digest you tongue. If you've ever had alot of pineapple and found your tongue rough thats y, and naturally something digesting your tongue might affect taste.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Tropical Kit military uniform?

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Pipes as a coordinated fashion statement?

Are you talking to me or my wife?

How many places let us light up on the premises any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.