PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes By George in Raleigh, N.C., is an outstanding independent pipe, tobacco, and cigar store, with a good selection of pipes at

many price points, basket to get-out-your-credit-card. He has a nice selection of tinned and bulk tobacco and a walk-in humidor.

George has been there since the mid-1970s, and I've never traded away any of the pipes I've bought from him. He has an online

presence too. There are many cities larger than Raleigh that don't have as good an independent pipe shop. It also serves as

a sort of general store gathering place. One man said he'd had 200 pipes but had trimmed it down to a mere 60, and had

two big storage containers of various tobaccos under a bed. So my collection of less than three dozen pipes seemed the model

of self-restraint. Thank you George's. (He's on Hillsborough St. near North Carolina State University.)

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Just stopped by Pipes by George this morning. Only my second time in the shop, but what a great place, and what a great guy George is. I like the fact that he's a great retailer but isn't a know-it-all. Many guys that have been in business as long as him are major blowhards and act like they invented retail.
I also like that George doesn't try to be something that he's not. He keeps his shop simple, yet it has everything a pipe and cigar smoker could want. He sticks with what works and doesn't over-complicate his business.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was in George's about a month ago to pick up some bulk tobacco and to visit. I was interested to know how his shop was doing with the development of the area, from old student apartments and abandon big old frame houses to banks of new three or four story apartment condo type construction. He's in a little row of shops including a bicycle shop and a tattoo parlor. He reassured me that, so far so good, he gained some business from the new tenants in the apartments and seems to be doing well. So hurrah. He's an amazing guy -- friendly, extremely knowledgable, low key, and astute enough to keep a business going for decades. He's extremely devoted to his shop. He's a great pipe man and a good soul. If you are ever in Raleigh, it's a must-visit pipe shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.