PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
I was listening to a news story that came on a local radio station today detailing a drug arrest. Apparently, a police officer was investigating a car matching the description of a stolen vehicle parked at a home. The story said the officer smelled a strong odor of pot and investigated the garage. The person then said that the officer "found several marijuana plants, growing equipment, scales, and other drug paraphernalia such as pipes."
Why single out the pipes? Why not just stop at "other drug paraphernalia"? And since when were pipes drug paraphernalia? I might could understand that if they had been glass pipes. I was in college, and know people used glass pipes for smoking pot. But I have never seen someone use a normal, tobacco pipe for it. Am I that out of touch...do people really use pipes for pot so much that they are now drug paraphernalia? Is a police officer going to search my car on reasonable suspicion because he sees drug paraphernalia in my car when I have my pipe with me? That's just crazy.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
It blows but I think its because pot is more common these days and the shops that sell the paraphernalia also sell pipes so that they can be classified as a tobacconist and still be allowed to stay in buisness.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I believe it has more to do with what you look like than whether or not you've a pipe in your hand, Vols.
If you are (or look), young, are dressed shabbily, or are generally unkempt, then having a pipe in your car is indeed going to be a "strike" against you. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's police work.
That said, police officers do know what marijuana smells like and, pending you're cordial to them, are likely to joke with you about your pipe once they smell tobacco and then be on their way.
It's the people who give attitude, inform the police of what their rights are, or, God forbid, ask the cop if there's isn't anything more important he could be doing... Those are the ones likely to go for a little ride or, at the very least, find themselves ticketed for some "infractions" on their car.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Its a universaility -- don't screw with cops and they won't screw with you. Unless either you or they are doing something wrong of course.
And when people hear pipe and marijuana in the same paragraph it is unlikely they imagine the same thing their grandpappy smoked. Just like when you use the word plug and the word tobacco in the same paragraph people know what you're talking about.
English is just absurdly ambiguous.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
well that's what they smoke dope out of. most pot pipes are made from metal or glass.

oh well.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My guess would be it was probably glass pipes like those used to smoke weed, crack, ice etc. I don't think a stoner would spend even $20 on a tobacco pipe when they could easily spend less than half that on a glass one and have more money for dope. I don't think a police officer would give you a drug paraphernalia charge if he pulls you over for speeding or not signaling and finds a tobacco pipe in your car that obviously smells of tobacco. Unless he's one of those crazy anti-smoking nazis jk.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
The sad truth is that, today in America, there are more people smoking marijuana than pipe tobacco. We can't do much to decrease the number of pot users, but we can surely affect the public impression of pipe tobacco smokers. Enjoy your pipe outside in public areas. Exhibit the same courtesies you demonstrate on this forum when you do so. Answer any questions asked. Return greetings offered. Help the culture to, once again, see us as the calm and safe gentlemen we are.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
The general rule of thumb here is that ANY pipe, (glass, metal, Briar, Meerschaum, whathaveyou) is paraphernalia if there is a "weed smell" to it or if it is heavily resined on the inside. When in doubt, they'll bring out a dog to sniff your pipe.
Other than that, ANY pipe is for tobacco. As far as LE is concerned anyways.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
This same thing came up a couple weeks ago with a link to a pipe was posted.

I said then it was a drug paraphernalia pipe and shouldn't be posted on this site. IMO.

If you don't know the difference in one versus the other seek education.

one is illegal and the other isn't, even the cops know that. and calling it a tobacco pipe is only going to fuel the anti's. That's already been stated too.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I have to disagree with you there wolfscout.
Yes, anyone with half a brain knows the difference between a tobacco pipe and a marijuana pipe.
However, the fact that a pipe is better suited for illegal substance than it is tobacco does not make it illegal, what makes it illegal is when there is a trace of a controlled substance on/in it.
For example, a Peterson System #303 would be illegal paraphernalia if marijuana was smoked out of it, and THC "resin" was found inside.

Likewise, a glass "steamroller" is a legal pipe so long as it has not been used for controlled substance abuse. In fact, I know someone who uses waterpipes as flower vases.
An unused pipe being considered paraphernalia is a dangerous concept. Spoons, lightbulbs, hypodermic needles, lighters, rolling papers, toilet paper tubes, (and much more) are all commonly used with controlled substances, but I would hate to think what would happen if LE was allowed to make arrests just because someone had something that "could" be used illegally without there needing to be evidence that it was.
I don't like goofy "those pipes" either, but lets not be hasty on how we classify things.

spectateswamp

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
This stone was a pipe before it was paraphernalia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxzpPj4Jwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nHTYT3hoFQ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it had been tobacco plants growing in the garage, it wouldn't have made the news. Some of our college student members have reported that they are often asked if they are smoking a little weed. Many people under 40 have never seen a tobacco pipe smoked, so there's that. The "culture" changes fast, and is so fragmented. There are mega-music stars I have never seen, heard, or read of. Partly my fault, partly just the fragmentation of culture.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Probably glass/pyrex pipes.
Marijuana is about to be legal across the United States. That gives us about thirty years until the bill is due.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
A few nights ago I was smoking a billiard with GH&Co. Kendal Dark as I drove my girlfriend to work and some doofus asked me if I knew where to get some crack. He waited until I was turning off and yelled it from his car. He looked to be in his early twenties and had probably never seen a briar pipe. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.