PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
I'm headed to new Orleans for 10 days and I'm wondering can I bring a pouch or tins of tobacco and my pipes as carry on? Experiences? Also I assume I can't take a lighter or matches.

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks

Gunnar

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Yea, no problems. I did it last month 5 pipes and 4 or 5 tins. Just make sure your tamper doesn't have a knife blade or the TSA will gladly take it off your hands. You can also take a lighter no problem. They loosened up that restriction over a year ago. Not sure about matches though. If you're flying through Atlanta there is a smoking lounge in each terminal. I don't think Charlotte has one though. Those are about the only two airports I connect through now days.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Yes, I have what my daughter calls a man purse (It's a satchel damnit) that I carry right on the plane with me full of tobacco and pipes.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
... "sharps" are a no-no unless you pack it in your checked luggage!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
For cigars I have a cheap cigar punch leave it on my keys, has never even been given a second glance. It sort of looks like a small flashlight. For pipes I just take my Titanium tamper or on of the old style nail looking ones from Brigham.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Thanks I think ill just use my finger for a tamper and I dont have time to order a punch and theres no good tobacco places around here that would have one. so maybe I could pre cut the cigars?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I've had them inspect my tins before, so dont bring any tins you dont want opened. They swabbed the outside of the tins and looked inside :crazy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Gunnar, I fly about 100K miles a year.
* Tins are ok. Sometimes they'll inspect them, sometimes they don't. It depends on the TSA guy. I haven't had them pop a sealed tin ever.

* Tobacco in baggies get more frowns. I've had multiple TSA guys sniff 'em.

* Pipes are ok. For a week trip I take 3 or 4.

* Lighters & Matches are OK too. No torch lighters though. I just take a cheap Bic lighter on my travels. Sometimes they seem to frown on zippo's, so I just don't take the risk.

* Cleaners, etc are OK. I've been able to carry on a cheap Czech pipe cleaning tool lately without too much hassle. I just put it in the bag with the pipes. I actually just use a stupid little old toiletry case for my pipes. I've been looking around for a good pipe case.

* Can't speak to the cigar stuff since I don't smoke 'em ;-)
This whole lot goes in my backpack with my laptop, phone, etc..
Once they see the tobacco pipes, they're usually ok. Granted I'm an older guy and a frequent flyer, so I probably will get a little more slack than a young guy who only flies occasionally, but overall the hassles have been minimal lately. I think that if you are prepped before you walk into the scanner (take off belt, shoes, empty pockets, no phone, etc), they seem to be a little more cooperative as well than compared to the guy who needs to go back four times because he forgot something in his pocket.
good luck

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I went to Vegas one time and called both airports, spoke their inspections dept. I was able to take my 4 pipe pouch loaded with pipes, tobacco tins, tamper, pipe cleaners, and a zippo lighter as well. So best bet call the airports first.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Going on vacation the first two weeks of August, flying with 2 Pelican small cases, 1 will have 2pipes in it, the other will have 2 baggies, 2 Bic lighters, cleaners, tamper in it. Hope this is the best way to transport them.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Going on vacation the first two weeks of August, flying with 2 Pelican small cases, 1 will have 2pipes in it, the other will have 2 baggies, 2 Bic lighters, cleaners, tamper in it. Hope this is the best way to transport them.
Pelican cases are awesome! Your goodies should be well protected.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
"If cabtainbob were the pilot that will fly to New Orleans you both would be smoking pipes during the flight"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Absolutely, no question about it! In fact, I'd invite you onto the flight deck to observe my flying skills!
Captain Bob

COMMERCIAL PILOT; AIRPLANE SINGLE & MULTI-ENGINE, INSTRUMENT, CERTIFIED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR

click on picture if you wish to enlarge:

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I just want to resurrect this thread briefly, if I may. I'm flying in less than a week and I don't want to have to leave my pipes home. Has anyone had an recent horror stories to share? More than I would hte to go pipeless, I would hate more to lose a good pipe (or three) to some TSA jackboot looking for a promotion.
Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.